Sign in to follow this  
DTMJ

New guy...Looking for some ponds in Harrisonburg

I am new at this...i go to school in Harrisonburg, I really need to get out and fish.  I really want to just hit up a local pond or lake.  I know its too cold to really hope for much. I just need to get out there with my pole and relax. Any help would be great.

Thanks

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=116

The fishing isn't as bad as the first page would have you think.  It's actually pretty good.  I have a friend who's son goes to JMU and he fishes it and likes it quite a bit.  There are some big, honkin' muskies in the lake, too.

Honestly, I've never had much in the way of luck there.  I don't honestly know of too many places on this side of the blue ridge to fish other than some local ponds I have access to.

DTMJ, are you a fellow JMU Duke? I'm a senior so I only have until May but we can get together and fish if you would like. I plan on fishing as much as I can when the weather gets warm again.

I haven't done very well at Lake Shenandoah and with the weed mats dying off now with the cold water I don't really know where you would start, especially from shore.

I usually fish the North River in Bridgewater. I did pretty well down there when the water was warm. There are some good size pike down there as well-they may still be active.

I honestly don't know of any water other than the rivers and Lake Shenandoah. Oh, and there's always Newman Lake on campus. There are bass in there but they can really shut down sometimes and become very difficult to catch.

I  graduated from JMU in 06.  Never had any luck at lake Shenandoah.  There is a golf course, right near lake shenandoah, which was pretty loaded.  Sometimes they would kick you off, sometimes they wouldnt.  Like Dominiondan said, the North River around bridgewater is a good place to fish.  When its warm, i would get in the river right at the bridge and work my way down the river.  There is also a park about 1/2 mile upriver from the bridge, where i would go when it was colder.  Another good spot to go is out port republic on the shenandoah river.  Head east on port republic, you will cross over the river, and there will be a park on your left about .25 miles down the road.  This time of year there is some decent trout fishing up in the state parks and national forests.  

yup, been to all those spots.

There is one dude that cat fishes all the time at Port Republic and he takes all the good spots so I don't bother going there much anymore.

Yes, I go to JMU.  I havent had a car there and none of my friends fish so i was just basically SOL.  I have my truck there now and when i get back from break i want to tear it up.  Thanks for all the spots.  Another question I have, i know there is great river fishing, but where can i go that i can shore fish?

All of the places I mentioned are fishable from the shore. Private Message me if you want more information.

Don't forget the conrete pond up the road on Shenandoah University's campus.

Get one of the DGIF fishing phamphlets and they list all the places to fish in your area.

You can get  them at Wal-Mart when they come out later this month or in January.

You all make plans to attend the Richmond Fishing Expo, too.

Sorry about the Dukes biteing the Bit Willy but at least those Richmond Spiders made it to the big show this weekend.

But I always pull for the team wearing the purple and gold.  ;)

Sam, don't bring that up. I'm still fuming.

If the Spiders don't cough up 4 turnovers, they should HANDLE Montana. We would have beaten them by two touchdowns had we not fumbled 3 times and thrown an interception. Montana plays solid, smart football, but they are relatively slow and nonathletic. They have zero stars. I just hope Richmond plays solidly and shows them how good the CAA is. It sucks that Rodney wasn't able to fulfill the season of destiny...He is more athlete than all of Montana.