Sign in to follow this  
Leegan

Shenandoah River

I was wondering what lures would be best to catch some smallies on the Shenandoah River...I'm going to be there in a couple weeks and fishing near the Luray Caverns. Thanks ahead of time!!

not sure what will work now but in the warmer months i use bitsy bug jigs for the larger ones and small cranks for smaller ones. rebel wee craw produces well for me. try a 3 or 4 inch senko

The USGS says the river is low and around 40-45 degrees. I would use slow presentations like jigs and plastics in any deep areas you can find. Personally, I love to use shaky head works in the river. Fish them slow.

We had some great outings there last summer/fall, basically from Bixler's Ferry road bridge up to the last mile marker/takeout used by the canoe outfitters.  The bite went away w/ the cold weather, however, so it may not make a difference what you throw.  Some days we used nothing but 3, 4, or 5 inch Yum dingers/senkos: the bite was so good at times there was no need to use anything else. Rig them weedless and weightless for the shallow, weedy areas, and try wacky-rigged in areas w/o weeds.  Also had success w/ power worms, fat ikas, and tubes.

When I get to the river for smallie fishing this time of year I usually have decent luck on Strike King Bitsy Bug jigs.  It seems like the brown colors work best.