Sign in to follow this  
NCthompson

Website for types of hooks and hook sizes?

I still find it hard to believe that most bait companies don't include setup recommendations with their products or on their websites.  I think the first company to provide clear, comprehensive descriptions would gain a following novices who go to the site repeatedly for advice.  While at the site they might then place an order because they would be confident in their bait/hook selection at that moment rather than hesitating due to uncertainty.  It would be an inexpensive way to develop loyalty.

I do like the techique tips that Yamamoto provides in the product desciptions at their on-line store.  However, they didn't go the extra step to list a range of hooks & tackle to match each bait.

I'd love to have a spreadsheet of hook, tackle & techinque suggestions for each of the *** (hint ;) )...  I probably would have place my order by now if I was more confident in my selection...

Leon

Good question! I know when I first started I had NO IDEA what hook to tie on if I wanted to throw a senko, or what hook works on a dropshot, etc. I have figured some of it out now, but am still learning! I know stamina and jann's netcraft usually have a hook size chart and pics in their catalogs, and I usually look at that, but just listening to what people on here use is what helped me learn what hook goes with what technique.

FOR SIZING:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/downloads/sizing_chart.pdf

http://www.bobberstop.com/baithooksizes.html

**obviously these will not be the same size on every computer screen, but I assume the printed view will be very close to accurate for sizing.

FOR HOOK TYPE:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fish-hooks/

Well, I suppose you can make it as complicated as you like and I know some guys like a variety of styles. For me, if it's a single hook used for soft plastics, 95% of the time it's a 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu or XPoint Offset Worm Hook. For a few applications, 3/0 EWG Offset Worm Hooks or a 5/0 Round Bend.

8-)

Well, I suppose you can make it as complicated as you like and I know some guys like a variety of styles. For me, if it's a single hook used for soft plastics, 95% of the time it's a 4/0 EWG  Gamakatsu or XPoint Offset Worm Hook. For a few applications, 3/0 EWG Offset Worm Hooks or a 5/0 Round Bend.

8-)

I rarely use a hook that big. To me a 4/0 and a 5/0 are HUGE. I use 1/0-3/0. If I go bigger to 4/0 or 5/0 it is because I am using a Fat Ika or a 10 inch rubberworm or fishing for turtles!

Well, I suppose you can make it as complicated as you like and I know some guys like a variety of styles. For me, if it's a single hook used for soft plastics, 95% of the time it's a 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu or XPoint Offset Worm Hook. For a few applications, 3/0 EWG Offset Worm Hooks or a 5/0 Round Bend.

8-)

I rarely use a hook that big. To me a 4/0 and a 5/0 are HUGE. I use 1/0-3/0. If I go bigger to 4/0 or 5/0 it is because I am using a Fat Ika or a 10 inch rubberworm or fishing for turtles!

Well, I don't fish anything smaller than a Fat Ika except for an occasional 3 1/2" tube when targeting smallmouth. Tubing or fishing grubs for brownies is about the only time I use a 3/0 EWG. I use the 5/0 EWG Round Bend for 7" Senkos, big worms and Micro Munch Tackle Fat Tony.

Big bass prefer big baits!

8-)

I run the gambit from #1 Gami Drop Shot hooks to EWG 5/0 flipping/Pitching hooks.  A really great site to purchase hooks from with great prices is Hookerz Tackle http://www.hookerztackle.com/. The owner Jason is really a great guy, and will answer any questions you might have. He's never steered me or any of my friends wrong.