Sign in to follow this  
fishing man

temperature help?

i have a major problem right now, i am stuck on shore for a wile (boat broke) and i cant figure out the water temperature. does anyone have any tricks or tips on how i can figure it out? i cant spend to much money right now so a portable depth finder is out, but i was thinking would i beable to use one of those hand held infared thermometers?

thanks for any help

A pool themometer will give you the surface temperature.

8-)

Go to a pet store and buy a aquarium thermometer and tie a string to it.

WRB

I'd opt for a pool thermometer as they're a lot cheaper and a lot more durable then a glass aquarium thermometer. Whatever you do, you don't need a portable depthfinder. Besides, how would you use it from shore ?

i am not sure about this...maybe someone can confirm

i heard that you can take the nightly lowsof the past 3(?) nights and average them together to get the water temperature

i am not sure about this...maybe someone can confirm

i heard that you can take the nightly lowsof the past 3(?) nights and average them together to get the water temperature

I wouldn't count on that method. Air can warm and cool much faster than water. Plus water warms and cools at different rates depending on such factors as depth.

but i was thinking would i beable to use one of those hand held infared thermometers?

I don't know what one of those is and I don't know what pool and aquarium thermometers look like either. I've been using a so-called "stream thermometer" for years, available for about $10.

s7_310804_imageset_02?$main-Small$

You can also get a digital thermometer with a probe on a 3 foot wire at a pet store for $10.  Look in the reptile section.

I'd opt for a pool thermometer as they're a lot cheaper and a lot more durable then a glass aquarium thermometer. Whatever you do, you don't need a portable depthfinder. Besides, how would you use it from shore ?

not saying you need one but I have used a portable depthfinder as a friend bought one and I have used many times from shore. you tie on a gen bobber like thing as if it was a lure and cast it out and leave it out there as it acts as a transmiter to the fish finder on shore then same as having one on the boat yet cheaper verson

WRB is on the mark.