Sign in to follow this  
PeterF

How to work a Jerk Bait

I'm interested to know how you guys/gals work Jerk baits. I just started using them and I'd like to know if I'm working them right or wrong. I use a Stradic 2500 on a 7' MH Fast Action Shimano rod, on 20lb PowerPro with a Yozuri Hybrid 15ld leader, tied line to line and a Rapala Knot at the lure. I give the reel a quarter turn for every jerk in a non stop action (I'm constantly jerking the bait). Every so often, I may give it a pause. I hope that gives you an idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks

Guest avid

It sounds a little fast.

Jerk baits are like anything else.  Sometimes the fish want that faster retrieve, but if you rip it a few feet and let it pause.  The twitch twitch a little and pause some more, or cast and let it pause. or pause and let it pause (LOL) you will probably do better.

If your getting the idea that the pause is the key to the jerk bait then your on my page.

As far as braid with a leader, that's exactly what I do, including the rapala knot.  Very strong and adds much action.  Keep your casts close to cover and slow down,  you'll get em.

good luck and have fun

avid

I'm no expert in jerkbait fishing, but I usually snap the rod two or three times and then pause (the length of pause depends on the time of year and whether of not I am fishing a suspended jerkbait).  The only reeling I do is to wind up any slack line caused by the snap (or to reel in any fish that I am lucky enough to catch).  I like a 6'6" medium action rod with a 7.0:1 ratio reel and 12 lb. flouro line.  The truth of the matter is how you feel comfortable fishing the jerkbait.  If you catch fish, then your method works.

After the cast, I will usually give a few cranks of the handle to get the bait to a desired depth. After the bait is where I would like it is when I would start making the bait behave erratically with different jerk/pause intervals. Let the fish tell you what they want.

Wayne

I have to agree with Avid. I think how you work a jerkbait can differ from day to day. Slow,fast, twitch, just experiment and the fish will let you know. Have their people call your people and yall can work something out.

A guy once gave me a lesson in jerk bait fishing, it went something like this -- you cast it out, give it a jerk - pour a cup of coffee - give it a jerk - drink the coffee - give it a jerk - light up a cigarette - give it a jerk - smoke the cigarette -- get the picture?  I must admit I don't have that kind of patience, but he caught stringers of big bass in the early spring this way.

Thanks guys. I'll be testing it on MLK Day. I hope post a picture of a MONSTER  ;D. Avid, I'm glad to see that I'm rigging it the way you do.

Well I am no jerkbait pro by any standards but here is a tip that worked for me.  If you want to figure out a pattern to it hum a chorus of a song you know and most songs work to where you can sing it in your head or hum it you can just twitch at certain points jerk and pause.   If that dosn;t work develope a cadence 123 and twitch 456 and pause count789 and 123 twitch 456 and you get the point you can adjust till you start  catching them but then when you do catch them you have developed a pattern.  Sorry it sounds weird but it works .  I am just bad at explaining.

Depending on water temps, and time of year, i will vary my twitches. I also find it beter to twitch on sami slack line, especially in early spring. Jerking on limp line will only move the jerk in place a lot and won't bring it back to you. I also like to count to myself, it teaches to really focus on what you are doing and it forces you to slow down.

Be a line watcher, especially during the pauses. Ocassionaly your line may start to swim away. Normally they hit on the first move after a long pause but sometimes during a pause.............................Al

Shad Master that sounds like the way I fish a worm and jig ;D

-suspending jerkbaits-Make sure the bait is weighted the way you want it because the temperature of the water will effect how well the bait will hang. A bait that is weighted for summer will float in winter because the water is more dense.

-sharpen the edge of the lip on the backside. This will put more action into the bait and it will dive a little deeper. I do this sometimes with crankbaits but I do it the most with jerkbaits.

-Oval split rings are a big plus on a jerkbait. It gives the hook more free movement when you jerk the bait and will help hook fish that just run up to sniff the bait. Make sure your hooks are sticky sharp because when you hook a fish with a jerkbait you want to have the bait plastered all over it's face and the more hooks stuck into it the better.

-weight placement will change the action of the bait- If you stick a weight in the front the bait will sit nose down and will dive deeper. If you stick it at the tail the bait will make the bait wiggle wider. If you stick it in the middle the bait will lay flat.

- Each jerkbait has a different action-some glide better side to side some wiggle more some wiggle on the pause. Some baits glide a short distance from one side to the other some will move a good distance. The floater style and most wood jerkbaits have more paused action then suspenders but the pointer is the exception. The pointer has a quiver on the pause much like a wood bait.

-The colder the water the longer the pause. Jerkbaits are eye contact baits that can draw strikes from a far distance. Jerkbaits are not the best choice for super cold water (except for spoonbills in cold water) or muddy water. In cold water the bass are to deep for them to be effective and in muddy water bass have a hard time tracking it down to hit it because of visibility and how fast the bait is worked.

- one way I work a jerkbait is to drag the bait like a Carolina rig. I do this in the early part of the year. You cast it out reel it down then pause it. You take the rod and drag the bait a short distance then stop the bait and gather up the slack and let it soak for a little while then drag it again. Mess around with the distance you drag the bait before you pause it to get a feel for what the bass want.

-another way I fish the bait is to reel the bait down and stop pause the bait. Let it sit for a second or two or three or several three's then give the bait two hard jerks then two quick ones. What your doing is forcing the bait to move hard right on the first jerk hard left on the second and before it completes the glide it turns back right then left erratically. Then let it soak and hang there for a while. Then do it again you can change it up to figure out what the bass want. Sometimes they want two hard jerks one soft sometimes it is just one soft two hard crisp jerks. The key is the pause and most of the time they will nail it before the next jerk and you hook them on the next jerk. Sometimes they want that bait to just sit there motionless for a long time. It is really up to the fish and what they want so experiment a little. The less stretch you have with either your rod or line the more action you can put into a jerkbait.