Sign in to follow this  
Guest muddy

Just a plain jig head and a piece of plastic

Guest muddy

Hey Fellas: since I started getting into jigging I have found I really don't like the jigs with the weed guards and the skirts. I prefer to throw a few differnt types of jig heads with a Brush Bug or a Plastic craw. Anyone else doing this?

PS I mostly vertical jig.

I do this sometimes with craw papi's and other creature baits. I also use jigs without a weed guard, I find that the skirt is an added attractant. These Evergreen jigs work well.

http://www.ichibantackle.com/showproductdetail.asp?productid=2748&name=PROFESSIONAL%20FOOTBALL%20JIG%203/8%20oz&manufacturename=EVERGREEN

Guest muddy

Thanks for the link T. I am going to stick with my current set ups, to try and learn them best i can. Then go to a skirt. I find if I try to learn more than one thing at a time, I get distracted and overwhelmed.

You would probably be better off pouring your own or having someone pour them.  My dad pours all the football heads I need, with or without guards.  I can paint, add skirts, use them bare, etc.  It sure give you options.

J

Guest muddy
Why not just cut the weed guards off? I've considering doing just that,

(haven't gotten around to it)

Why go through the trouble of cutting weed guards or pouring my own, there are tons of well made jigs sold this way to begin with?

Hey Muddy, I do it all the time. It's kinda like pegged Texas rig to me but a whole lot easier. Like this method on craws and creatures as well.

www.ragetail.com

Hey Muddy,

Get some ballhead jigs in whatever weight you need and some 3-4 inch curly tail grubs. I like Zoom Fat Alberts but there are tons out there that work well. It can be deadly while vertical jigging but can be just as effective while swimming.  :o

Hey Muddy, I do it all the time. It's kinda like pegged Texas rig to me but a whole lot easier. Like this method on craws and creatures as well.

www.ragetail.com

Yeah, I love those rage tail chunks. Amazing chunk, you can work it along the bottom very slowly and get alot of hits, and then when you want to bring it back in and re-cast, just slowly swim it back in, and the action it produces is incredible. I also get a bunch of hits on the slow retrieve when im about to re-cast.

Glad you like'em BFM, I call that set up my "Cab" (Catch anything baby).

www.ragetail.com