Sign in to follow this  
carySE406

Fishing HUGE Worms!!

I just picked up some 10" powerworms and had a few questions for y'all.  What size and type hook do you use?  How do you retrieve it differently than smaller T-rigged worms?  How do you change your hookset technique with the bigger worm?

Thanks

I have a 13-1 on a 10" Power Worm and a 11-4 on a 15.5" Custom Ribbontail.

I fish both with an Owner 11/0 Oversize Worm Hook and a 3/16-3/8 oz Tungsten bullet, pegged, with a black glass bead.

Hooksets are the same. any tick, weight, or line movement, reel down fast till you feel weight and try and rip her face off. If you are using straight braid, she weighs 11lbs and is about 30ft away, prepare to break a rod. Makes for an entertaining hand over hand fight though, lol.

I fish a lot of 10" Power worms at night. I fish them the exact same way as a regular worm. I texas rig it and use a 5/0 Gammie. An oversized hook may not be a bad deal but I hardly ever lose fish with a 5/0. Tequila Sunrise is my favorite.

IMG_0658.jpg

I've had great success T-rigging a 12" worm with a 6/0 offset worm hook.

IMGP0221.jpg

The bigger the better. 6 or 7/0

Bigger is usually better but keep in mind that a worm with a 5/0 hook hits the bottom a lot quicker than one with a 4/0 hook in it.  I learned this the hard way carolina rigging these worms with my dad in the boat.

J

10 inches is not Huge IMO, but after ordering some 14 inch worms and some 7/0 Owner hooks I will feel alot better about not missing a fish when I get a bite.  

And I use braid(and tarpon style hooksets) and hope one day to go hand over hand like 4bizz on and 11 lber...broken rod or not :o

10" worms aren't really that big and I fish them with a 4/0 hook, t-rigged with a 1/8oz. bullet weight. Even small fish love 'em. :o

These small bass where caught with a Reaction Innovations Big Unit 9.5.

Afbeelding002Small.jpg

Afbeelding001Small.jpg