Sign in to follow this  
jb_adams

Jig trailer colors - natural or bright colors??

Of course, depending on water clarity, water temp, time of year, etc, etc, etc....

What are your experiences with jig trailer color selections?  My fishing buddy was using a black and blue Strike King "Bitsy Bug" type jig which I'm guessing was a flipping jig.  He was oddly using a brighter green (lighter than green pumpkin) as a double tailed grub and was catching fish and getting bites in really tough weather conditions.

It got me to wondering because all of my trailers look like the blend in with the color of the jig.  You know, red and brown jig = brown trailer or green and black jig = green pumpkin with black flake.  That sort of philosophy.

Would an odd color jig trailer attract more attention?  Sure it would!  Would it be more productive??  I'll test the theory and let you know what happens.

What's your thoughts??

Thanks!! ;)

When in doubt, use a color that is green or that matches the bottom such as a pumpkin or motor oil color. This is a place to start but I do not use bright colors for finesse tactics as the bass get too good a look at the bait. It is hard to go wrong with green as the bass are comfortable with that color.

About the only loud color I have had any luck with was a Blue Saphire trailer. Sometomes I dip the very tip in spike-it chartreuse, but that is a rare occasion. That technique has worked, though, in dirty water.

Guest Texas_Bass_Pro

I have used a chartreuse colored plastic as a trailer.  Does pretty good but I would say that the oddest thing that I have done as far as miss matching colors was put a 1" white grub just underneath a T-rig baby brush hog; junebug colored.  Was killing the bass with this.

Two guys in the same boat may be fishing the same lure, in the same color, but one guy may catch all the bass.

The fact is, each of their lures will be running on different paths, at separate speeds and at separate depths.

All of those factors are far more important than color.

Roger

I have used a chartreuse colored plastic as a trailer. Does pretty good but I would say that the oddest thing that I have done as far as miss matching colors was put a 1" white grub just underneath a T-rig baby brush hog; junebug colored. Was killing the bass with this.

Funny you mention that abou the junebug brushhog and white grub.  I just rigged a black and blue Bitsy Bug with a dbl tailed white grub.  I tried it off the bank this afternoon and it looked like it would do pretty well.  I agree with the previous statement though, if the bass have a long time to look at it in clear water, better keep it natural.

Just a couple of factors to look at,water clarity,cloud cover,and season which may help predict level of feeding activity or the fish's mood.

Really water clarity is most important.I look for a darker shade such as flippin' blue or black,in stained or muddy water.Green pumkin or green pumkin w/chartuese dip,in stained to clear water.I am a big fan of spike it chartuese on a green pumkin trailer when fish are in a possitive feeding mood.Why?Only because it makes the lure more visible to the fish.

When it comes to a jig pattern,the depth the fish are holding along with the type of bottom and/or structure fish are relating to and lure presentation are the two most important factors(what Rolo said).

I will stick with natural colors.  I usually use black, blue, pumpkin, and some type of green color.

Clear water-green pumpkin, watermelon, watermelon red, pumpkinseed, strikeking green crawfish/black trailer, natural frog, white

Stained water- purple, black/blue flake, brown/red, green pumpkin

Muddy water- black/chartreuse(more yellow than chart.), black, sapphire blue, flipping blue, black neon, black/blue flake