Sign in to follow this  
bass109

eels for bait

Bass do eat eels. I know in Cuba all the fishermann use is live eel or home made 15" worms.

They cant afford anything else.

We use eels in saltwater for a few different species, Striper, bluefish, tuna, etc but I've never tried one on a bass.

Tip- Have a towel ready to handle your eel.  The slime coat makes them very difficult to manage without a rag or towel to grip it with.

Ice your eels.  A little ice in your bucket will calm them down quite a bit, eliminating alot of the squirming and knotting while you are trying to rig it.

I never used them for bass but, when it was legal we use to use them for Striper's on the Chesapeake Bay.

Well this is kinda hard to describe but, make ur hand like a fork. pointer,  middle and ring finger. middle finger out alitle, bout 1 inch from the two other fingers(your pinky does nothing) Basically  go down on the eel and use ur thumb, its how i get the eels when i hook'm.  It works for me, its a little trick my dad taught me.

Word is that the guys in Cuba whack 'em on live eels. I've also been told that any fish caught on an eel is not eligible for a record of any kind. I'm no expert on the subject but from what I understand they make your entry ineligible. That aside, the more I fish the more I find a bass will eat ANYTHING that swims, walks, flies, floats, etc... as long as it fits in their mouth. I wouldn't even get a newborn child too close to the water around here!  ;D  ;)