Sign in to follow this  
hawgchaser

Are frogs a must have?

There is a lot of talk on here about fishing frogs. I throw a few Stanley Ribbits and horny toads but I never feel like they are a must have. To me, this is a bait I throw when I am already catching fish but just WANT to throw a frog. Granted I have never spent a lot of time fishing them.

So my question is, is this a go to bait for some of you. Do you feel like a frog is productive when no other bait seems to work. I am just curious bc they are one of the last baits I pick up.

It is definitely a go to bait for me although I have to use the toad type and not the frog type.  

If there is grass on, the toad is the go to bait.  If its dead of winter then obviously it won't work.  And usually the frog only works during mornings and dawn if the heat is really on.

J

During the summer when theres alot of weed growth it is a killer big bass bait.  I always have one on when im fishing topwaters in weeds during the summer.  To answer your question, yes sir!

They are terrific to have tied on when fish are in the mood for top action.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Absolutely! And dont limit it to just "slop fishing" it works great around and in brush lines,skipping under trees,docks. I have also recently discovered how well they work when allowed to sink in holes and twiched under water along weedlines.

I rig them with a small pegged bullet sinker when I really want to get down into the slop.

Early or late on a warm day, gimme a Frog and "Get Back", some-body or some-thing is gonna get a hook stuck in'em. A Big O hook!

www.ragetail.com

They are only a necessity when there is a frog bite on..........which means  YES It is my go to top water bait now. here's a little tip on the ribbits before you throw a new bait stretch the legs slightly and make one a little longer than the other. they bait will "buzz" a ton more and even walk a little the the legs being different lengths. A friend and I have frogs only competitions on my grandpa's lake all the time they are such great baits when fishing grass.

My PB came on a SPRO frog 2 years ago and from then on I have always had at least one frog tied on a rod at all times.

harshman

I think it's one of the best baits for mats or lilypads.

Interesting views....I have always enjoyed fishing frogs and caught fish on them but thought they usually would NOT outfish a buzzbait, spinnerbait, or weightless worms.

I got some good grass in mind that I might throw a Ribbit over. Ill pick up some of those ragetails too :)

dont forget the spro frogg ... i like the ribbits , cane toads , horney toads ... in that order .. but i almost always get the big bites on a spro frog ... what i like to do is use the ribbits as a serch frog to find where the bass are once i hook a bass or get a blow up i switch and start throwing the spro ... i do this on the slop /// in open water ill use a ribbit before a buzz bait almost every time ... not sure why ,,, but i do ... :)

Interesting views....I have always enjoyed fishing frogs and caught fish on them but thought they usually would NOT outfish a buzzbait, spinnerbait, or weightless worms.

I got some good grass in mind that I might throw a Ribbit over. Ill pick up some of those ragetails too :)

Soft plastic frogs are good for small weed patches here and there with open water spots, I would not use them for fishing the thick muck where its just "green everywhere" to a point where you can't see the water. They tend to pick up some weeds for me. If your fishing the thickest of slop I highly recommend a hollow body frog instead, try a Original Scumfrog.