Sign in to follow this  
soccplayer07

spro bronzeye

Hello all. Just purchased a few spro bronzeyes. Any tips/suggestions on these biats?

I like to trim one leg a little shorter than the other 1/4" to 1/2". the more you cut off the easier it is to "walk the dog". You also might want to bend the hooks open a little more to get easier/better hook sets, not to much just enough to get the hooks away from the body a little.  Make sure you wait a second before setting the hook on this frog make sure you feel the fish load up your line or you might miss a lot of fish.(bending the hooks helps a ton with this thought) I like to fish this frog on a heavy 7'6" rod with braided line. Good Luck and Happy fishing, frog bites are so exciting.

<----- that fish was on a Bronzeye

Harshman

Love frogs, the second biggest fish I caught last year (7 lbs.) came on one on the first cast of the day.   I have been pushing it a little and throwing them allready this year when I know it is still way to cold.

Hollow frogs do not enjoy the same high hookup ratio as solid toads.

For this reason, I generally use solid toads except for walking-the-dog when I prefer the Spro Bronzeye Frog.

Out of the package however, the bronzeye makes a poor walker, but this is easily rectified with two simple modifications:

1) On both frog legs, trim the length of the leg strands so they're only 2 inches long (reduces lateral drag)

2) On each frog leg, grab the 8 innermost leg-strands then cut off all the other strands flush to the leg-socket.

Have At It :)

Roger

what weather conditions are ideal for fishing these frogs? have never caught a fish in a frog :'(

Ideal Conditions: Post-spawn period during a light ripple.

Roger

I too like to throw them on a 7'6" rod with braid. Casts great and great hookups. I have had good action with the black one in muddy water. They also skip well too.

i just used the bronzeye for the first time today and had 4 bites on it but lost all of them.  Where I was fishing there was a ton of grass growing.  Everytime they went into the grass is when I lost them.  Was it because I didn't have a good hook set or the grass have something to do about it?

i just used the bronzeye for the first time today and had 4 bites on it but lost all of them. Where I was fishing there was a ton of grass growing. Everytime they went into the grass is when I lost them. Was it because I didn't have a good hook set or the grass have something to do about it?

One thing it depends on is if they were smaller fish.They have an annoying tendency to to smack at the skirt.The bigger fish, 2 lbs or more, tend to just inhale it.

Pause a little longer and be very watchful for a strike.You will iss a buch of fish if your fishing matted grass and such,its the nature of the game :)