Sign in to follow this  
Syfer420

Gee minnow trap advice

Anyone use or know hwat a gee minnow trap is?? I bought one from the store becuase in stupid nj they dont sell shiners year round, and the fisherman in the store sugested trying the trap. I threw it in the water with crackers in it and left it for an hour or so and no luck. Maybe its the crakers sisnce they got wet and came out. Any advice??

It's been years ago but I use to put those traps out all the time. I baited mine with white bread most of the time. Just put 2 or 3 whole slices in there. Put a piece of meat in if you ever want some crawdads to fish with.

Also...it always worked best for me to leave the trap out overnight. An hour or two just never yielded much for me. In my experience, creeks were the best place to trap the most minnows. The slow, deep pools in my local creeks were some of the best places.

One last thing...conceal your traps as best you can, cause if anyone can see it, it might get stolen. I lost several that way.

I have never used these traps in freshwater. But in saltwater I use them constantly. Just incase you ever want to catch your own saltwater bait here are a some tips. If you want to catch killies use fresh broken up crabs, spider crabs, rock crabs, blueclaws, doesn't make a difference. Fish carcuses will also work, but crabs is the best way to go. If you want to catch spearing, a can of either sardines in oil or jackmackerel is the overall best, again fish carcuses/crabs will also work. I am clueless about using these traps in freshwater, but I have alot of experience using them in saltwater, im just giving you these tips so you know how to use this trap in saltwater. Also the best areas to use the traps in saltwater are in shallow water 1-4 feet deep, on top of fish carcuses lying on the bottom, on the sides of docks in water only about 5-6feet deep tops, small beaches, near any type of big pipe, and in areas of seaweed (1-4feet deep). Its rare to catch these fish in any water deeper then 6feet usually, so if your using the trap in saltwater I would not put the trap in anything deeper then 6feet. (By the way, bread will also work in saltwater but I would only use that as a LAST RESORT)