Sign in to follow this  
ian515

polarized sunglasses

ok guys. I understand the idea behind polarized glasses. but I dont understand why everyone thinks they are so important for fishing lakes (unless you are sight fishing I guess). it seems to me half the time people are wearing them, they are casting 50-60 feet away from them and feelin around, which you can do without the glasses, so why does everyone think they are so important?

am I missing something?

Okay, let's just say you can take this answer from someone who knows something about fishing sunglasses.

You're right, polarization is key for sight fishing. But the quality of polarization varies from brand to brand. For example, I was out fishing with Jason Quinn a few weeks ago, and he was wearing a pair of his usual white sunglasses (brand name omitted). I had a competing brand of polarized glasses on (brand name also omitted). He was sight fishing to a bass on a bed no more than fifteen feet away. I couldn't see it with my shades on, but when I put his on, I could see everything.

But polarization is only part of what you get with a pair of good glasses. On the water, UV protection is also key, and the effects of exposure to UV rays on the eyes over time are not good. Eye fatigue is also a problem. When you've been out on the water all day and you get in your truck, you'll notice the difference when you've been wearing a good pair of sunglasses.

Another thing to consider is how the polarization is implemented. A lot of companies simply use polarizing film on the outside of the lens. This will scratch and degrade over time. You want a quality pol. film sandwiched into the lens layers themselves.

All of this is a lot of words to say that polarized sunglasses do a lot more than just help you see fish on a bed. They're key for that, but protecting your eyes over the long term is even more important. Only a truly good pair of sunglasses is going to do that.

Think of them as a lifejacket for your eyes.

And again, take this from someone who knows a little something about sunglasses.

--SM

I have always had good sunglasses, I used to race downhill mountain bikes and had a couple sponsors give me a good deal. so I have always been a big believer in high quality glasses, I just never understood the polarized glasses craze. its funny that I think this way though, because I didnt think twice when buying my overpriced polarized lens for my camera..but thats a diferent story.

stephen, I know which brand you are talking about, you like those a lot?

I guess the point of this thread was to help me understand what type I should look for, seeing as I am plannin really buckling down and getin some good fish.

If I told you why I know so much about sunglasses, let's just say everyone here would accuse me of using this forum to "sell someone's product."

The truth is, if you get a pair of sunglasses from either the biggest sunglass company out there (um, the big "O") or from the company that Quinn supports, you're going to get a good, quality product with lots of R&D behind the lenses.

I like the latter for a few reasons. One, their top of the line lenses really are worth the extra money (and I have to buy mine like everyone else). Two, they just fit better (at least they fit my huge head better. And three, they come with a no-bulls*it lifetime warranty. If it's a defect, they're replace them. If I sit on them, they'll fix them (at my expense of course).

Ian, you and I sound like we come from similar sporting backgrounds. You obviously know how important the right eyewear can be.

When it comes to my eyes, no amount of money is too much to spend to protect them.

As for what to look for, many people underestimate the role/importance of lens color. Offshore folks die by their blue mirrors, which are perfect for open water, heavy sun days. When people (like some of the Elite guys) ask me what lenses are right for bass fishing, I always say that Copper and Amber lenses are likely going to be the most versatile for all conditions, and good for off-water (driving, throwing horseshoes, etc.) as well.

Lens color is all about conditions. Basically, as I understand it, you want to pick a lens color similar to the colors in front of you. The copper and amber lenses tend to filter out some of those very colors, evening out the visual field.

So, start with the lens and work back from there. Try on as many frames as you can to find the perfect fit. And always get a pair with the best warranty you can find.

--SM

First of all for safety. Many of us have had a lure pop out of a fish's mouth as they are being landed. That lure comes flying straight back into the face.

Second. They are not only used for locating bass. I want to see if a fish is following my bait or takes a swing and a miss. I want to see that stump or brush pile that is just under the serface. I want to see if the fish I have on the hook has others with him.

There are many advantages to polarized sunglasses. Not just sight fishing.

I agree!

Among my fishing friends I am the only one that uses sunglasses on most outings and I cannot tell you how many times I've seen things my friends never could. It usually goes something like this :

"Holy crap do you see that!?"  :o

".... see what?"  :-?

"That HUGE BASS... RIGHT THERE!"  :o

".... I dont see it"  ;)

Happens to me all the time.

I stepped on my Jason Quinn sponsored sunglasses, ie. Costa Del Mars. (Im not selling nothing)  Sent them in and they replaced them for half price.  

I was thankful because I would have bought another pair at full price.  I switched last year from Ray Bans and the difference is extremely noticible.

Just my 2 cents.

GO BIG RED

It surprise me that in England the match anglers don't were sunglasses. This should be a market for somebody.

Even in the most stained water and overcast conditions if you wear your glasses, your eyes will detect movement there fore giving away location.

Garnet

ok guys. I understand the idea behind polarized glasses. but I dont understand why everyone thinks they are so important for fishing lakes (unless you are sight fishing I guess). it seems to me half the time people are wearing them, they are casting 50-60 feet away from them and feelin around, which you can do without the glasses, so why does everyone think they are so important?

am I missing something?

They eliminate eye fatigue and strain. Save your eyes get a good pair.

"it seems to me half the time people are wearing them, they are casting 50-60 feet away from them and feelin around, which you can do without the glasses, so why does everyone think they are so important?"

Even if you don't see what you are fishing now, but do see lots of other interesting things under your boat, you have an ideal where to fish next time on that lake. Over many visits this knowledge ads up.

I wear Bolle' when I am driving and Costas when I am fishing. I represent neither, but the Costas cannot be beat. As far as safety , you put a pair on and it is supprising what you can see. Shallow bars come into play when on the water that you cannot see without them.