Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Ripping Jerkbaits

Anyone here find this a particularly successful technique?  

I read on the TackleTour forum that ripping jerkbaits, like the Lucky Craft Pointer DD, was very effective.  I've never done this.  I have simply applied a steady retrieve (with Rapala Shad Raps) and had some success.  But I've never burned them.  Anyone practice this and if so is it successful?

Not with Pointers, but when bass are very aggressive, this technique will work well with the X-Rap. Rapala likes to distinguish the lure as a "slash bait" which it does (slashes) when worked fast. I had particularly good luck on the White River fishing for German brown trout fishing a very fast pace. When the fish are hot, I think ripping will work.

8-)

the key to succesfull jerk bait fishing is to present a crazy dashing and darting action. now of course there are times when you fish it more finesse like but thats more so true during cold water months. when temps are up and bass are active make that baby go crazy you dont have to be fast just give it sharp uncontrolled jerks

also the new rapala x-raps jerk baits are phenominal IDK about you but spending 15-20 bucks for a jekbait ( i.e. lucky craft, diawa ) is crazy but i do know i will be getting a few of the new sebile jerk baits when they come out only because of the new state of the art designe that is put into them and because i can get them thru a buddy of mine who is well lets just say hes got and good hook-up

I dont rip jerkbaits as much as ratltraps.  But once in a while jerkbaits and crankbaits have been good to rip and bounce off cover for reaction strikes.

this technique will work well with the X-Rap.

Ooops, I said Shad Rap but I meant X-Rap.

I've used these like cranks over grass beds.  I get a lot of big pickerel on these worked this way, particularly in the spring.  But I don't get many bass.  I'm going to have to try burning them here shortly.

the key to succesfull jerk bait fishing is to present a crazy dashing and darting action.

Nope.

I don't agree. It's cadence (length of pause) and true suspension

that distinguishes a jerkbait. Most strikes (all strikes) are on the

pause whether you recognize it or not. Ripping a X-Rap is a little

different story, it's the action that usually triggers that strike.

8-)

I fish jerks all summer long and do pretty good with them when I'm not supposed to. They most certainly are NOT a seasonal lure, for me anyway. Doesn't bother me one bit though that some guys put them away in the summer. :) My most absolute favorite use of them is on inside weedline on hard-bottom flats in the morning where the inside weedline is at least 5' deep.

I disagree with a repetitive cadence ALL the time, it's fun but it's a bad habit to get into. Some of my best days with jerks have been on really "messed up" retrieves. The "rip" is a good way to break up jerk cadence. The "rip" PAUSE "rip" cadence has it's days. I almost always start ANY jerk retrieve with a solid "rip" or 2 to get it down faster.

Jerk baits are truly fun to fish because you are only limited by your imagination when it comes to retrieve. What works for you is what works!! This is a bait where you rejoice in thy youth, because they can really work you over when you get older. If you fish a jerk bait RIGHT, all day long it should kick your ***. Man....I LOVE 'em!!

This is a bait where you rejoice in thy youth, because they can really work you over when you get older.  

X2 on this because my old wrist can't take the pressure anymore. Now that doesn't mean that I don't keep one tied on one of these bass whippers I've got layin' here in the front of the boat. There's always the right place and the right time! We just have to guess when that is. And when we guess right, Ohhh Boy, Get the Net!!!!!!!

Big O

www.ragetail.com