Sign in to follow this  
nralover

What style of hook for a wacky rig?

What is the best style of hook for a wacky rig? I will be using it for 4 and 5 inch Senko style plastics- also, it seems like I saw a hook for this type of fishing that had a weedguard. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

I have had success on a couple of sizes and styles.

My best fish have come on a #4 Gammy Circle hook.

This year I started going wacky with a 2/0 and 3/0 offset hook because that is what I use for 4" and 5" Trick sticks t-rigged. Caught them that way as well. Really don't think it makes a huge difference to tell you the truth.

With the smaller #4 or #5 Gammy Circle hooks I did have a lot less "junk" being picked up in the weeds though.

Just remember if your going with the circle or octopus style hooks to not set the hook hard. Reel...let your rod load...and the fish will hook himself

If your going with straight shank or offset hooks than your going to want to use a snap hook set. Hope this helps.

I just buy the eagle claw lazer sharp hooks with the little wire weed guard.  It works as good as anything else I've tried.  

Octopus hooks, not circle ones, regular octopus. I will never go to anything else.

2/0 or 3/0 straight shank gamakatsu or i like eagle claw but thats for the price. i dont hold on to them too long anyways :)