Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Incredible college records

During the Memphis / Tenn game they were talking about undefeated seasons. I think they said that during Bill Walton's days UCLA was 120 -0 ????

If that is the case doesn't that have to be the single greatest record of any sport ever?

Seldom happens anymore but no matter how you look at it 4 in a row is a heck of a feat.

UCLA's longest winning streak was 88 games, which Notre Dame ended in 1974.

I wasn't watching real close they were just talking about undefeated teams in general. San Fransisco, Indiana etc. They showed a picture of Walton and 120 - 0 I'm not exactly sure what it referred to.

The best explanation I can find is as follows  ;)

1964 UCLA Bruins (300)

1967 UCLA Bruins (300)

1972 UCLA Bruins (300)

1973 UCLA Bruins (300)

The best explanation I can find is as follows ;)

1964 UCLA Bruins (300)

1967 UCLA Bruins (300)

1972 UCLA Bruins (300)

1973 UCLA Bruins (300)

Yep...Wooden's four undefeated teams.

Guest muddy

Other than the 4 undefeated seasons This is what Their Coach

John Wooden put up;

Life Time winning pct as a college coach .813

over 40 years he went 885-203

with UCLA; 27 years

620-147

with an astounding 10 NCAA Titles: 7 CONSECUTIVELY1966-1973

THEY WERE OVER HIS 27 YEARS THE BEST HOME TEAM EVER GOING 151-149 AT HOME!

WITH 19 CONFRNCE TITLES (Wooden said that was their greatest accomplishent)

And they Amassed 38 NCAA Tourny Victories (games) during the run

And I root for St.Johns: Last time we won, the other team did not show up

UCLA wa 88-0 at one time as posted earlier. That streak was ended by Notre Dame in 1974, UCLA lost 2 week later to NC State in the final four which ended their run of consecutive National Titles, Wooden won one more in 1975 before retiring. UCLA as a school has won 100 national championships in all sports. I believe that is a record as well. I am a Carolina fan, but for what he did in the same amount of time, John Wooden is the greatest coach ever. Those records will never be duplicated. First off, you can't keep the kids in school long enough. If they when a title or have a sucessful year they bolt to the pros. Also conider this when UCLA won all those titles, freshman were not allowed to play on the varsity squad, which is not all that bad. Makes them grow up a become students instead, college being a farm tema for the pros.

Question: are athletes required to PAY BACK all the waisted FREE college tuition, bribs, housing, and food money they are lavished with IF they leave college early and become overpaid professionals?? It just erks me that colleges would waste all the available educational investment on someone who doesn't even intend to graduate. Somewhere there's an underpriviledged, intelligent young adult who, given a FULL scholarship, would have completed his/her education and went on to become possibly a doctor or teacher - real contributors to society. SORRY ABOUT the RANT. I normally don't do that, but with the salaries of professional athletes in the stratosphere, when someone leaves college early only to become rich, it just erks me.

Guest muddy

No they don't, and before you bad mouth college athletes check the financial NCAA statements those "amatuer athlethics" bring in far mor many millions than anything they recieve from the college. I am not justifying the early going to the pros CARNACECA,THOMPSON,PITINO,MASSIMO AND VALVANO , when they were in the Big East had unbelievable grad rates. Then came Jarvis and the bandits and that was the end of that

Also what is a young athlete , with a family livining in poverty supposed to do when he has a chance to get them out of poverty, I would not want to have to make a choice like that at 21! Besides if they make millions playing pro ball, they could go back to school or open a busineess and invest wisely for their retirement.

I don't think my post/question "bad mouthed" anyone. I just said it erked me and I am well aware of the income that athletics brings into the colleges (SDSU allum). One SHOULD use his/her God given talent to be as successful as possible. Maybe it's just the overpaid athlete thing that erks me?? Oh well, I guess the fans can afford it.

Muddy: I apologize if I upset you. Senility is setting in rapidly!

Guest muddy

I also think athletes get paid a lot of money, compared to firefighters,first responders,care givers, teachers and that is what our world is. I also used to think they were crazy to demand the salaries they do, until the owners started dishing out the dough. Then I did a little looking , and just look at what Steinbrener's group paid for the Yankees and what they are worth today!

There was a writer in the the 80's , from the San Fransican Chronicle named DOWD. He did a series of articles in the SPORTING NEWS during that period dealing with Pro Sports and Financial Matters, it was very eye openining.

College Athletes have paid for teaching hospitals, their own scholarships( thats right the teams generate money based on scholarship elegibility and an NCAA formula) they pay for new programs and buildings. So in a sense these athletes make is possible, on a level, for those other students to serve society on their particular level.

All GOOD POINTS, Muddy!!! I stand corrected, but still erked:o) I wonder what those professional teams would be worth IF fans stopped paying elaborate prices for tickets and concessions at the GAMES?? I just happen to think actually playing the game/sport is much more FUN than watching it.

Guest muddy

Oh man you are right there. I am waiting to see what the prices are going to be next year at EBBETS FIELD II, or whatever corporate name the Mets sell it for. It does look alot like EBBETTS, I grew up close to Ebbets. The price of a game is still within my budget, but i bring a few sandwiches to the games now because i refuse to pay 7.50 for a freaking HOTDOG!!!!!!!!!!! I know many do not like SHEA , but I am going to miss it. I will buy a couple of the old seats to put in the yard :-/

OH OH we did it POPEYE , lets get back to UCLA, isn't that how this all started  my mistake ::)

Agreed AND my apologies to fish-fighting-illini!! I in no way intended to get off topic or cause a stir!! I shall CONTROL any ranting/venting in the future. Maybe Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown will be there to calm me down:o) I want my MAPO!!

Hey Popeye,

I used to agree with you until someone explained to me that people go to college to learn skills to be put to use in life and make a good living.

The same holds true for college athletes.

They go to school; learn a skill; and put it to use to make a good living.

So, now I just watch the games and yell and scream for the jerseys, either for them or against them.

Now as for UCLA. I grew up watching and reading about their fantastic seasons and I still have a lot of interest in the UCLA basketball program.  All due to Coach Wooden and his teams.

I remember Walton and Jabar and watching the NCAA Tournament finals when UCLA made their run.

I would think it is an achievement that will never be broken.

Agreed AND my apologies to fish-fighting-illini!! I in no way intended to get off topic or cause a stir!! I shall CONTROL any ranting/venting in the future. Maybe Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown will be there to calm me down:o) I want my MAYPO!!

Hey Popeye thanks for offering the of thread apology but it isn't needed. This one is pretty simple I must have not heard the TV info right. Once an answer is given I for one enjoy the off or side topic stuff. Sometimes that stuff is the most entertaining.

Sure wish I could have watched closer to what they were saying. No big deal, 88-0 is pretty impressive anyway.

I think those days are gone as those were the pre-parity days. Depending on the sport you had UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, Indiana, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska then the "others".

As far as pro salaries they will be this high until we do something about it. We have to quit going, quit buying the special cable packages etc etc. Not going to happen I know but unless someone draws the line no one will.

I still say its time to quit the illusion of " pro athlete". Make it one or the other they choose to be paid or they take the schooling. No offense meant but why waste the instructor time on something that is a joke to start with. Many of the degrees are worthless programs anyway and many haven't quite made it all the way through before their playing days are over.