Sign in to follow this  
Cigarlover 1

Slomoe-Let's talk "Street Skate"

;D That was quick.

I used to skate alot when I was younger. I still have a deck in my trunk at all times though.

Haven't seen the new video. I just found the gif and thought it was pretty ill. Thanks.

That's classic stuff right there. I haven't skated for about 10 years but skated from about 88 to 97. I'd say Hokus Pokus is my favorite vid of all time.

I'll have to look it up.

Here's what Im pushin now. Bout time for a new setup.

ATT1225891.jpg

Man.....Now I want to go skate.  ;D

Night skating is the best.  ;D I skated mostly Alien Workshop towards the end of my skating days. I grew up in KY so I got to see Dyrdek and the early Alien guys do a lot of demos local cause they were in OH at the time.

I've been in skate mode lately even though I haven't done it in 10 years. To this day I still I still look at things as skateable or not skateable while I'm out driving. lol

sick avatar slomoe, im trying to get back into skating right now, did it fro quite a few years when i was younger and about 2 years ago. i really like alien workshop, lookin at buying a new one soon

sick avatar slomoe, im trying to get back into skating right now, did it fro quite a few years when i was younger and about 2 years ago. i really like alien workshop, lookin at buying a new one soon

Definately do it. While your young, agile and still have the time. Skating is one of the things I miss most about being young.

yea. ive been seeing my friends skating several times in the past month and every time i see them i want to get back into it more. im glad i kept my old AWS and im just trying to re-learn the basics right now

I've been in skate mode lately even though I haven't done it in 10 years. To this day I still I still look at things as skateable or not skateable while I'm out driving. lol

I thought I was the only one.

IMO Santa Cruz Speed Freaks was the best vid of all time. Totally captured the lifestyle and feel of skating in the late 80's. Great soundtrack and some of the best footage. Just me  ;)

I also like the Powell vids from BITD, I used to watch Ban this and Public Domain just about every day after school. Two words....Ray Barbee.

Everyone,...watch closely at the avatar, gravity, inertia and the slightest direction from an airborne toe,...make that board flip, twist and re-align in a split second,...all while airborne and all before the tough part,....landing.

Sure,..I think curling DESERVES to be an Olympic sport,...these kids got nothing on those curlers  ::)

BMX and Skate should be Olympic events!!!!  WHAT'S THE HOLD UP???

(no, I do not skate,...did for yrs when I was young, was part of my transition from hockey skates to skis.)

As a Freestyle skier in a slalom based world,...with a mohawk,...I DID however deal with the same resentment, jealousy and irritated public opinion of those considered "radical"

But skater or not, irritated or not,....you cannot deny talent such as this.

If you've never seen Rodney Mullen skate, prepare to be blown away.

42 years old and still RIPS! How many other athletes are still going strong in their 40's? One of the true pioneers of skating!

Matt 5.0 Thanks for that video post.My boys down in TX are all in or close pushing their 30's and they all skate.However skaters have a bad,bad rap down there.There is "bans" posted in a lot of places where skaters are known to hang.

Geez Matt, you're making me feel like a quitter,lol....at age 25, I was "too old" to go another 4 yrs against the 17,18 and 19 yr olds.... ::) :-/ ;D

My point is,...I was an innovative skier for my time.  I designed tricks and new aerial maneuvers that were copied, modified and brought to another level.  We all did in that era.  We pushed and "topped" each other often.  It was common place to go to a comp and someone just pulled a sick triple,...2 of his 3 trick selections in this triple may have been created by yourself,...a few weeks earlier.  We learned to "save" our special stuff for big point events and protected are newer stuff like the Cali guys protect their water,...lots of secrecy ensued.  

For anyone who cares....the "Tail Pipe" was all me.  (Squaw Valley-Granite Chief-'89  filming with Greg Stump) :)  My legacy,lol

We were the best of the best and being a former skater as well, I can firmly say that we operated at a degree of difficulty that is NOWHERE NEAR what these kids do on a street course never mind in a 1/2 pipe or other related larger scale layout.

Anyone experienced in aerial acrobatics knows,....these kids deserve Olympic status.  WITHOUT QUESTION

Rodney Mullen is a God.

Needless to say my taste in music has change since skating in middle school. Punk rock to hip hop, and it took alot of music in between to get there. ;D

Im a big fan of DGK and Stevie Williams.

.There is "bans" posted in a lot of places where skaters are known to hang.

We're lucky the community understood this and has recently built several parks around here for the kids to go to. They'd rather them have a place to go, than tear up public property. But yea, I used to get hassled by security guards and police all the time.

I don't skate, but my friend Kerry Getz does.  Crazy some of the tricks that dude pulls off!

Man quit at 25? I "quit" at about 18 just too much toll on my knees and back. BUT if I had a car I would probably get back into it. Man I am telling you those were the days man. By the way I was always a ZERO fan, check out dying to live. It was made before half the team went to mystery.

-searoach

Stevie Williams, Smooth as always.

-searoach

Anyone use one of these Element Helium decks? They look super light. But I don't think  they would last that long.

board.jpg

I don't skate, but my friend Kerry Getz does.  Crazy some of the tricks that dude pulls off!

You know Getz? Thats pretty cool!

I used too skate a ton, but stopped. Idk why, just got bored.

Thanks guys, you have taken me back about twenty years to my youth when I did not have a care in the world except for fishing and skating.  Ahhh...the good ol' days.  ;)