Sign in to follow this  
FivePoundBluegill

Seriouly Why guys?

I honestly do not intend to open up a can of worms creating this thread but I probably will :(

I honestly do not get some of the things some people do when they post on this forum. There are two things I would like to address and I do not look down on the people who do these things I just do not understand it.

First off I often do not get why some people refuse to say what bait they used to catch their bass? I mean I am glad to share what baits I am catching fish with and I am also glad to say what baits are not working. I like to help other anglers catch fish not take all the fish for myself. The only time I would not give up what baits are working is if I was preparing for a bass tourney and was competing against other fishermen on this forum.

Also why do people chose to smudge the background out of the pictures they take? I honestly do not mind telling people what spots are producing unless they tend to keep fish. 90% of the people on this forum are catch and release anglers though so why does it matter?

Also why do people chose to smudge the background out of the pictures they take?

I can understand people doing this.  Some of these guys have fished their whole lives and finally found "the spot" that produces.  The waters containing big fish are drawing more and more anglers every year.  I wouldn't want to work hard to find a spot and then post where it is so some guy who fishes twice a year catches big mama.

Don't get not sharing baits either. I can really understand not sharing the spots though. Alot of places I fish are good because I rarely see anyone else fishing them in the spots I do. One place thats great for big smallies would be easy to see where it was by the backround and the fish are already spooky and tough to catch with the little pressure they get.

Also why do people chose to smudge the background out of the pictures they take?

I can understand people doing this.  Some of these guys have fished their whole lives and finally found "the spot" that produces.  The waters containing big fish are drawing more and more anglers every year.  I wouldn't want to work hard to find a spot and then post where it is so some guy who fishes twice a year catches big mama.

Yes but why do you care if he catches a BIG FISH out of that spot as long as he releases it. Id be pretty angry if someone came to a spot I regularly catch big fish and was taking them home.. If they release the fish they catch I do not see why it matters though. Also 90% of the fishermen on this forum are catch and release guys and I notice some people will even attack a new person to the site who posts a kitchen or garage shot of a bass. Thats how much the anglers on this board seem to care about catch and release....

Because

A.  Some of these guys make $$ hunting big fish.

B. A world/state record is worth a lot of $$

C.  These spots are earned and learned, let others find them the same way.

As for smudging the background, that's mostly the trophy guys who have put in hours and hours of hard work to find those big bass.  If they didn't smudge the background folks who knew the lake could go right to their spot and before long it would be just another community hole.

As far as the not sharing what lures they catch fish off of, I have been AMAZED at how many people do tell you what they're catching stuff off of, from tournament fishermen to trophy hunters, to great every day bass fishermen.  If a few don't, and it would be a very few, what's the big deal?  Most likely someone else is giving out better information anyway. ;)

I can understand why people do both things. Now, on here I will happily tell people what I am catching them on. However, on a small 600 acre local lake I fish several times a week, I won't always divulge those secrets to every Tom, Dick, and Harry I meet. I won't be dishonest, but I will be vague. As we have all discussed it does take work to beat out your competition in the quest for bass. So as soon as you tell someone what is working, their natural reaction is to switch to that bait. So now instead of one person using a different bait, it spreads like fire, and suddenly your unique approach is shared by everyone else.

As far as not sharing details on locations, or outright hiding locations... The reason is simple for me. I go to a lot of trouble, a lot of work to eliminate unproductive areas. After I have found a honey hole that continually produces fish I don't want everyone to know. If you know I caught a 10 lb hawg out of a particular lake, I don't mind you going to that lake to find your own. But if you tell people exactly where, again, the natural reaction for a lot of people (and I don't think they are doing this with the intention of 'catching your fish') is to go right to that spot and try for themselves. Pretty soon, that little honey hole you discovered, is now covered with fishermen. When you find a good spot only to have everyone else start swarming it, it takes away some of the magic. I will happily give people advice on where to go on local waters, but I always keep some of those secrets for myself.

As far as attacking people that do keep their catch, that I feel is just plain wrong. Personally, I HATE to keep LMB for food. That is just me. It isn't that I don't like meat. Heck, I love me a good steak or piece of veal! But to me, it takes a decent sized bass a significant amount of time to grow. I'd rather throw her back so she can get bigger and get caught again. Then I'll run down to McD's for a cheeseburger! But that is just my opinion.

For the most part, when I see pics of fish people have kept I assume they have a valid state license. if that is the case then they have every right to keep fish within the slot/creel limits. I would hope they don't keep many game fish, so that there are more of them. But, they bought the license, and it isn't my place to get on them for it.

These are all good questions you've brought up. And just like anything else, everyone has their own opinions (and they all stink like ****! ;D )

I'd like to add that when it comes to giving people info about locations, I will give pointers when it is someone fishing with kids or special circumstances like that.  I've spent enough skunky days that I hate to see kids going out to get it.

Also why do people chose to smudge the background out of the pictures they take? I honestly do not mind telling people what spots are producing unless they tend to keep fish. 90% of the people on this forum are catch and release anglers though so why does it matter?

There is a local televsion show that when filming on the waterway here they try to hide the back ground as not to show where they are filming. I do not blame people for doing that, the last thing you would want is to publish a picture with details of the place where you wer at then the next week have a ton of people in your favorite spot.

Just my opionion,

Big T

Because some of those baits are hard to find.  :-/

Often times i will say what bait i'm using,just not what brand or color.

Also,i think guys are worried if they say something and another angler who keeps everything he catches knows his secrets.That's my big thing.I've actually had one person come up to me and go "thanks me and by buddy hammered those bass around 30 or so on so and so lure and kept every single one.there's a 5 bass limit here.That made me Mad as heck.

I'm not a picture smudger, but I do hide some of the baits that I use. One reason is because I develop and test lures for a few different people and companies. The other is because I'm sitting on a rig that will win me some money in some local and hopefully a national tournament as a co-angler. I'd like to get a cut on the cash before someone else runs with what I'm calling my idea. I don't know of anyone else doing exactly what I'm doing right now and I'd like to keep it that way for a bit longer. I don't think that is unreasonable at all.

As far as picture smudging, I guess that depends on the lake and fish. If I caught an 18lb bass, I probably wouldn't even tell anyone what state it was caught in, unless it took 1st place in the record books. ;D

Fishing is a funny hobby and sport. I like sharing information, but some stuff should be confidential. I can sit here and tell stories about Iraq all day, but I can't share some of that stuff either. Some is classified and I legally can't talk about it and other stuff I am just unwilling to talk about. Same goes with fishing, oddly enough.

FivePoundBluegill,

Although the guys may not tell all on a forum post you may do well by sending them a Personal Message and asking for assistance.

I tell a lot of guys a lot of stuff on a PM that I do not want posted on a forum post.

As for asking for their "secret" spots on a specific body of water you may not receive exactly what you need as honey holes and favorite spots are always kept secret.

Baits are usually discussed and by PMing the member you may find out more than by asking for the information on a post.

Give it a try.  ;)

I have no problem telling lures used. But it can kill the fishing to talk about small waters on a public forum. People who do mention the specifics are the exception, not the rule.

On a couple of small regional forums that I'm a member of, people will usually share this information via personal message with members who are known and trusted.