Sign in to follow this  
Siebert Outdoors

Any Drywall finishers?

What is the best way to fix nails on drywall that come through tape?

I was thinking about just hammering them in and going over them with mud.  But I dont want it to pop back out.  Is there a better option?

Thanks

What is the best way to fix nails on drywall that come through tape?

I was thinking about just hammering them in and going over them with mud. But I dont want it to pop back out. Is there a better option?

Thanks

I am not a pro, but screws are the only way to fly. JMHO

Ronnie

I will call my buddy tonight if you don't have your answer. He dose that for a living.

I will call my buddy tonight if you don't have your answer. He dose that for a living.

Thanks alot.

I am not a pro, but I have remodeled quite a few homes and as a result I have installed and repaired a lot of drywall in the last 25 years.  I had similar problems in my current home so I cut the tape where the nail head is popping out, removed the nail and then placed a screw nearby it and then covered the area with mud and it has always worked out well.  I have done entire seams this way and they look good and you can not tell that a repair was done.  I hope this helps.

I have never finished drywall but I have hung a lot of drywall and have never used a nail. Everything that goes up now is screwed. I would remove the nail and replace with a screw and just mud over top. You won't have any problems with a screw.

I'm not a drywall finisher, but I am a homebuilder who has had to deal with drywall repair.  

I would add two screws - one about 1" above the old nail hole one 1" below.  Definitely remove the old nail.  Use 1-5/8" drywall screws ( to minimize the risk of hitting plumbing, wires etc) and do not drive them too deeply (You want the screw head to be just barely below the surface but you do not want to break the paper surface).   Hit the old nail hole with a hammer just hard enough to dimple the surface and then fill the dimple and the screw head holes with mud using a 4"  flexible drywall knife.  Skimcoat the entire area where the three holes  are, let dry and sand- repeat if necessary.  Do not try to fill the holes individually - they will be more likely to show through the paint this way.  Good Luck.