Sign in to follow this  
WIII-60

I can't make up my mind

Fellas,

I'm getting another truck and was set on the tundra. I've seen some of the new silverados and think that those are nice also. I'm stuck.

I have one or two do-able options in both of these classes for what I have to spend. If you have a good case for one or the other, please state. I like and dis-like things about both.

My dad drives a Silverado, I drive a Silverado, my brother drives a Silverado, and my mom drives a Tahoe.

That being said, I'd take the Tundra.

The Toyota is a nice truck, no denying that.  But I've seen too many with bent frame rails from even minor accidents.  I think they have soft frames.  (I'm an insurance adjuster, BTW, so I see a lot of damaged vehicles.)  They don't (or didn't) score as well as Fords of Chevys in crash testing.  4 out of 5 stars sucks when the competitors all get 5 stars.   It has been experiencing some reliability issues, also.  This is the model, along with the V6 Camry, that started the buzz about Toyota reliability slipping.

I'm not anti-Toyota, either.  I own 2005 Corolla that has given stellar service.  But I wouldn't buy their Tundra.  I have a 2006 Silverado crewcab which has given equally stellar service, but I wouldn't buy Chevy's small cars.  

Tough call. I'm a Chevy man from WAY BACK but Toyota has put out a fine truck with that Tundra. I would guess the resale/trade-in value on the Tundra would be higher years down the road if that matters to you. Flip a coin.  

hmmm.

Just got a call about a new sierra. It seems like the biggest problem is the options. I added that one for the masses.

I like that the tundra has a HUGE crewmax cab. But for looks overall it's a push I think. What stickers domestic for 36k is 42k in the toyota. Same-same truck to, no real difference. The domestics have more bells and whistles for the money spent.  

what to do?

I guess I could be in worse situations...... ;)

Suggest you go to the library and see what Consumer Reports has to say about trucks.

Buy American, if possible.  :)

also gmc and chevy are the exact same truck.

You have to ask yourself.  Do you want a 'truck', or a plush soccer mommy vehicle?

If you want a truck, get the Chevy.  Otherwise, go with the Toyota.

I would go ford or dodge too. I drive an F-150, and my dad drives a Ram 1500. Both are great trucks.

-tumnus

Nothing runs like a Chevy Gas engine. The new Silverados are NICE!!! I'd get a Silverado in a heart beat!

The Cummins is the best HD truck engine out there. period. Dodge's 1/2 tons aren't too bad, but I'd still go with a Silverado.

My dad owns a '00 F-150 V8 with the 5.7L. It's not bad at all. We've taken GREAT care of it, and pulled a 2+ ton trailer with it for thousands of miles. We're coming up on 300,000 miles on it, and it still runs GREAT, and we haven't had any major repairs on it.

My first truck is gonna be a '95-'98 Chevy 1/2 ton Z71. The Chevy gas trucks just keep on going!!

I know a few people who own yotas. They're not too bad. But I'd still go with the silverado.

I know quite a few people with Silverados. They LOVE them! They get ok gas mileage too.

SILVERADO!

I voted for Toyota.  When I got my new truck last year I really wanted one, but in the end couldn't justify the money even though Toyota was my favorite.  Just like boats all the major brands make a good truck.  Get the one that fits you.

I've been strictly a Chevy buyer for over 20 years. That being said the last 2 I bought are total pos's. My 1999 S-10 has been junk since the day I bought it. Unacceptable engineering on several accounts; sagging doors at 40k, heater blower motor issues x 3 or more.   My future son in law has same truck and same problems. The 2001 Malibu has been total crap. It eats brake pads for dinner, numerous electronic problems, air conditionaing etc etc.

I will never buy Chevy again I'm done. For my money I'm going with Honda and Toyota. The re-sale is out of this world on those often very close to price of new. This make the overall cost very low compared to the US brands.

just my .02

Everybody has their favorites and I have mine, Dodge. I have never had a problem with mine nor has any of my friends and we all drive Dodges. They are comfortable and drive great. With the rebates going on right now you can get one heck of a deal. Around here they are doing 40% off msrp on 08 1500 Dodge trucks. Plus they're the best looking truck imo.

Chevy vs Toyota? I'm not too familiar with either truck. The last Chevy I owned was a 2000 so I cant comment on the newer models and I have never owned a Toyota but I have driven the 08 Tundras and I was completely in love with it the first time, too much money for me though.

Pick what YOU think looks/drives the best and something you can get into that wont bend you over every month for the next 5 years and im sure you'll be happy.

Being a ASE certified master tech. I really hate to say it, but!! I will never own another GM product again. The Honda, Toyota and Nissan are beating the pants of American manufactures in performance and quality. Buy the Toyota.  

I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7 Hemi.  Sticker price $40,300.00 I offered $25,500.00 and they glady accepted.  It pulls like a mule!  40% off!  Unlimited powertrain and engine warranty if you keep up with the service requirements!

For the record, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Toyota. (the only thing I liek them for are the older tacoma 4x4s for muddin.)

Chevy is my truck.

Dodge and Ford are #2 & #3.

Stick with Chevy!!!

-Ike

What the hell!!!! Why isn't FORD an option??????????????

He wants a real truck ;)

Okay... I know you don't want to start this... I've been a Ford man my whole life. I have owned a chevy and hated it and I also owned 3 Toyotas. I love Toyotas but I like to spend money so that why I have the Ford I have now.  When I get out of my truck I have now I will be buying a Toyota Tundra.  ;)

Flippin4it is completely right! Foriegn manufacturers have what it takes. ;)

For the record.

Not interested in a ford, sorry ford guys.

I had a dodge ram. Nice truck, want soomething different.

Had a GMC canyon. total crap. The gap between the sierra and the canyon is huge.

The silverado and the sierra aren't exactly the same. Some differences.

The tundras are stupid expensive. If you downgrade, basic things are absent (foglights for example).

It's a tie between the tundra and the chevy. Exciting stuff! Keep posting.

My dad had the same ordeal as you.  He wanted a Tacoma (these trucks are in a league of their own, I don't care if they're foreign made), but he could get a fully loaded crew cab Z71 cheaper than he could get a basic model Tundra.  He ended up purchasing the Chevy.  It's a great truck, but I think he's wishing he had bought the Tundra.

Nitroman - I come form a Chevy family, I was raised to put down Ford.  However, I've drove my uncle's 2005 F150. Very nice truck.  Haul's like a freight train