Sign in to follow this  
Root beer

Good work out program?

I'm starting a new strength program to put on weight in which I hope it makes me stronger for backpacking and mountain biking. It's a full body work out for shoulders, core (both abs and back), chest, and legs.

4x10 Lat pull-down. Trying decide how to vary it. maybe 2 of the sets would be close grip in front, then final 2 be wide grips behind neck pull down?

3x8, 8, 10 incline dumbbell press. With first two sets being same weight, then a heavier weight for final set.

3x... Haven't decided on how many reps per set for bench press

5x10 leg extension. Both the leg extension and leg curls machine at the gym has a 5 set guide on the machine where it has three places to put the weights on, and each set you vary the weight placement on each three parts and it supposedly work different muscles in your legs.

5x10 leg curls

3x15 leg press.

3x20 back extension (maybe more reps)

Ab workout is similar to back extension both are done on a machine that weighted. I've never seen either machine until today at the gym.

What you guys think? After about a month and half I'm change this work out routine to different exercises.

Keep the lat pulls in front of you. Doing it behind your head can be bad for your rotator cuffs.

On the incline et al, if you do the heavier weight sets first, you generally get more/better reps with the heavier weights.

You need another back exercise to balance the two front pushing exercises, maybe upright dumbbell rows would suit,

I hate leg extensions/leg curls. They put too much stress on your knees, not to mention being isolation exercises, which I've never had alot of use for.  Work some squats and/or dead lifts in there, but make sure to keep the proper form.

If you are running low on time, I use the perfect pushup and it has worked well, I am probably going to try there pull up thing also soon.

Quitting smoking and drinking whiskey worked for me. I put on a ton of weight. :D

Quitting smoking and drinking whiskey worked for me. I put on a ton of weight. :D

I quit whiskey and started drinking beer only

Didn't see anything for Bi's and Tri's. I use to do chest and triceps one day, back and biceps another, shoulders and legs another, and abs on any day i had the added energy to do a few sets. I use to do 8 sets (3 different exercises) no more than 10 reps. Once you get familiar with your strength you'll know what weight you can do for how ever many reps it is you desire. I would always work till failure. Also increase you protein intake this will help your muscles recover and build.