Sign in to follow this  
BASSclary

Just to remind you guys with dogs...

If you feed your dog's bones, make sure they aren't eating one's that have been eaten down to what look like skinny arrowheads.

This seems like a given to most, but today my sister's dog almost went to doggy heaven because of one.

She looked all cringed up and her chest was sorta spasming. My mom then went into action to help the bone get out. (My mom saved 3 choking dogs from different things she's magic!). The bone's attached seem to be the most common ones to turn into arrowheads.

And incase your wondering, Sugar is doing completely fine now other than a little scared from what she went through.

post-28262-130162966922_thumb.jpg

My dog once got into a bunch of my nephews breathing treatment medicine, Albuterol I think it is called.  She ate like 20 of the little packs.  She was completely out of it and foaming and drooling like mad.  The vet said it was no big deal and she would be fine, and breathing very well, after a day or so.  She turned out fine, but I was freakin out for a bit.

Never, ever give a dog cooked bones.  They can, and will splinter.  Rawhide chews are almost as bad.  Though they don't splinter, if a dog swallows, or tries to swallow a piece that broke off, it will expand as it absorbs moisture in the throat or stomach and expand.  It can cause blockage in the throat or digestive tract.

One other thing dogs should never eat is grapes.

The list of dangerous plants, and human foods is nearly endless.

If you want to keep your dog's teeth white, and free from tarter, not to mention keeping their breath "sweet", brush their teeth.  There are poultry and other flavored toothpastes on the market. 

After a few brushings, most dogs seem to enjoy it.

A good quality dry kibble is better than canned food when it comes to doggie dental hygiene.

Never, ever give a dog cooked bones. They can, and will splinter. Rawhide chews are almost as bad. Though they don't splinter, if a dog swallows, or tries to swallow a piece that broke off, it will expand as it absorbs moisture in the throat or stomach and expand. It can cause blockage in the throat or digestive tract.

One other thing dogs should never eat is grapes.

The list of dangerous plants, and human foods is nearly endless.

If you want to keep your dog's teeth white, and free from tarter, not to mention keeping their breath "sweet", brush their teeth. There are poultry and other flavored toothpastes on the market.

After a few brushings, most dogs seem to enjoy it.

A good quality dry kibble is better than canned food when it comes to doggie dental hygiene.

Good advice. Also keep your garbage secure, especially when you are not home. If there are bones, or whatever, they WILL sniff them out.

The vet said to give our dogs carrots instead of dog treats. I think my dog is part rabbit.

-gk

The vet said to give our dogs carrots instead of dog treats. I think my dog is part rabbit.

-gk

x2, my bullies love bananas and some veggies.

Never heard ab out carrots.

Will be keeping granddog when son and wife have "Rerun" later this month and will try them on him.  The dog, not the baby.

Thanks for the tip.  :)

Just a fyi re: uncooked bones, and or food for your pup..make sure they have been frozen prior to feeding them to your dog. Kills all the yuky things on it. Also, keep an eye on the bones once they start getting smaller.

IMHO rawhide stuff is worthless, get chewed up quick, and is dangerous. Raw bones are cheaper, and much better for your pup.

My dogs love rawhide, they are maniacs when it comes to that stuff. I know its not the best for them, but im not sure exactly what kind of raw bones to give them. Any suggestions?

My dogs love rawhide, they are maniacs when it comes to that stuff. I know its not the best for them, but im not sure exactly what kind of raw bones to give them. Any suggestions?

Milkbones  ;D

Couldn't resist!

I give my dogs raw chicken bones. For my larger dogs (mastiffs) I would give them each a leg quarter. For my smaller mixed breed he gets raw chicken wings. The bones turn to gelatin and dissolve easily. As long as you give them a bone when they eat the meat they usually won't get the runs.

Most supermarkets sell butcher bones, or dog bones.  They are cut from the femur of a steer.  They are usually about three inches in diameter, and an inch and a half or more in thickness.

Dogs love to get the marrow from the center, as well as chewing on the bone.  Freezing them will make getting the marrow a longer process.

One word of caution regarding marrow.  It can cause diarrhea.  Some dogs are more sensitive to it than others.  We have not had a problem giving our dogs a butcher bone a couple of times a week.

Another word of advice.  It's preferable for them to have it outside, or in a room that is not carpeted, unless you want your floor covered with slobber and slime. 

TY Rhino. Do you do anything to the bones before you give it to them to prep it? (talking about bacteria and the like).

Nope, give 'em a bone when we get home, and  put the rest in the freezer.  Make sure they are fresh, though even old meat that we consider to be spoiled would be a part of their natural ancestral diet.

Our dog loves to find cat poop and eat it.   It is a typical dog behavior, and our vet assures us it is usually harmless.  However, it is not good for his breath.

TY Rhino. Do you do anything to the bones before you give it to them to prep it? (talking about bacteria and the like).

Nope, give 'em a bone when we get home, and put the rest in the freezer. Make sure they are fresh, though even old meat that we consider to be spoiled would be a part of their natural ancestral diet.

Our dog loves to find cat poop and eat it. It is a typical dog behavior, and our vet assures us it is usually harmless. However, it is not good for his breath.

Rhino's right about the butcher bones.   They have enzymes and such that actually help a dogs digestive track.  I've raised a ton of patterdale terriers.  They're ground workers like the jack russel was bred to do,  but better.  I had one that had a love of dog poop.  His or another dogs.  It drove me nuts and grossed me out.  While inquiring about a solution,  I was told(or read) about giving them the raw butcher bones.  The bones were supposed to supply the dog w/ what it was missing,  Therefore curb the poop diet.

As for cat poop.  We have a cat too and I keep the litter box away from dogs.  I agree,  it doesn't do any wonders for their breath and is also gross.

As for dangerous bones,  cooked chicken and rib bones are the worst.  I've even picked up some packaged bones from the pet food store that splintered terribly.  Not good.