Sign in to follow this  
WdyCrankbait

Timing is everything, and my timing stinks!

So, here is a story for you guys (and girls, if they are reading this).  I earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Virginia Tech in 2003.  My hopes and dreams for getting an engineering degree was to always get into racing as a career.  I attended a couple of Indy 500s and knew I wanted to get into racing.

Towards the end of September of this past year I sent me resume to a well known NASCAR team. Well, I lost my job Nov. 12th by getting laid off and started to look everywhere!  Got a couple leads on jobs either in Chicago or Arlington, VA area, however I wanted to stay in Richmond VA (hometown), my mom and aunt (two closet family members I have left) are getting older.  A friend (known for about 10 years) of mine that use to attend my church has his own company in Richmond and decided to bring me on board figuring he could use an engineer.  Well, the day after I take a position at my friends company the same NASCAR team contacts me saying they are interviewing engineers for a position there.  UGH!!  An opportunity at my dream job!  Still not sure what to do, my friends job is a great opportunity, and a sure fire place that I am going to do well at.  Timing, timing timing!!!!

Follow your dreams. You'll be happy you did. My dream ever since I was about 2 is to be a NASCAR driver. But funds have put that off for a while  ;)

Go on the interview. They haven't offered you a job yet. If you don't interview you'll never know and it will bother you forever.

If this friend is a true friend they will not be put off by you chasing a dream they will be very supportive and happy for you. As will your mother and aunt.

Do it and give them your best!