Sign in to follow this  
Rattletrap

Jekyll Island Georgia

Nope. I launch out at the Jekyll ramp, and shoot right up Jointer Creek. In about 10 minutes, I'm cracking them with live shrimp and jigs. I fish the feeder creeks against the shells and oyster bars. :)

It's great to be back. Now all of ya'll have "Been Posting A Long Time"  stars, and I don't. Remember, I used to be even with most of ya. Tightlines!!!!  :)

;D thanks man, catch a biggun fer ma ya hear? Yeah I've been through Jekyll Island but have never fished it, a beautiful place I must say.

went to jekyll island on a 6th grade field trip...cool place...if i only knew what a redfish was when i was 12 ::)

Yep. Redfish are brutes. We also were throwing back 12 inch Seatrout all day. They have to be at least 13 inches. We ended up taking home 10 Reds, 5 Trout and 1 Flounder. It was a good day. You are allowed per person, 5 Reds and 10 Trout. Tightlines.   :)

rattletrap, Georgia sure does have liberal limits on Reds. In North Carolina you are only allowed to keep one per person. Slot size is I believe is 18-27 inches. I believe Trout only has to be 12 inches and I believe you can keep ten. I can not remember, that's why keep a copy of the size limits on my boat.

I can't understand Fla's 1 Redfish limit. It might be because of the Fla fishing pressure. Everybody goes to Fla to fish. I don't know why NC would have a 1 Redfish limit either. Is that something knew, or has it been like that for awhile?

NC has had this regulation for ten years. Our state did not require you to have a saltwater licence for years, it takes effect Jan. 1. Anyway recreational fisherman out number the commercial guys 3 to 1, however the commercial interest have always had one of the state's most powerful representatives looking out for their interests. Now I am not knocking the commercial fisherman, because they have to make a living and feed their familys but they seem to have an unfair advantage when it comes to harvest regulations. The big controversy up here is that the nets are killing the big breeder bull drum while they are in the Albamarle and Pamilico sounds.  That's just my 02 cents. though.

In Georgia years ago, the shrimp boats used to be able to come up threw the sounds to the mouth the main feeder rivers. That would remove a lot of the baitfish, shrimp, Reds and Trout. They stopped them from doing that and our fishing has boomed, and the commercial fisherman can still make a living.

rattletrap,  I believe that is what is happening in the central part of the state. I am not against commercial fishing by no means. I just think that there sholud be stricter guidelines. The size limits are hepling for the most part, I mean the drum fishing now is better than it was 10 or 15 years ago.  Around Wilmington Reds are pretty popular, but I think they might take a back seat to Flounder fishing. Which is now starting to get overfished to point. I mean you do not see as many double digit fish as you use to.  There is also a move by the Army Coprs of Engineers to remove the locks that are upriver from Wilmington. This move is expected to restore the natural spawning grounds of many migratory fish like shad,herring, and Stripped Bass.

NC has such strict limits because the redfish use the sounds as a major spawning area. The populations got decimated a few years back as they did in many places. They banned coastal gill netting in alot of places not sure about NC. The commercial interests are pretty powerful there as someone mentioned.

I believe the gill nets are still legal here. Like I said the commercial interest is very powerful in this state. That may change however as recreational fishermen start having to pay for a license. Here is another one for ya. A freshwater license is fifteen dollars,and a saltwater license is fifteen dollars. However you can get a combination salt/fresh water licence for $35 . You would save $5 by buying them seperate. However that should not be surprising since the state had to push back the license progam a year because they were only going to charge one dollar for a day pass. This would not even have paid for the paperwork involved.