Sign in to follow this  
ScroGG ToGG

How shallow do crappie go??

i have never crappie fished, but i was just wondering, do they go shallow ever like bluegill and other related fish? ive never seen one in water shallow enough to sight fish.

They absolutely go shallow. You can find them in as little as a foot or two of water. They will typically come shallow when spawning and you can find them relating to shallow cover. I have always had luck with dense weedlines and bruch thickets in this situation. The crappie have a place that they feel safe and can also ambush any passing prey.

I have caught crappie in as little as 6 inches of water. In the spring time they will go to the shallow to spawn and they get real shallow. I love to fish for them either with a live minnow around stumps or casting a roadrunner jig.

Bud, you fish Ky and Barkley Lakes? I was born and raised in Murray! My family still lives in Panorama Shores right on Blood River.

Westpalmdude

I live about 2 miles from Ky dam.  From the time I leave home I can be in the water at the Ky Dam Marinia in about 3 min.   We might have fished the same brushpiles for old paper mouth.  Bud

crappie go very shallow, mainly during the spawn. caught some in less then 1' on a couple of lakes around my area. they can also be caught pretty shallow during the fall. i was catching my crappie from silver lake (different thread) in 3' of water or less right next to brushy shorelines.