Sign in to follow this  
pickerelpiney

pickerelresouorce.com

heres another one for the logs. Catching lots of nice ones latey, but these got nothing on the muskie i am about to start hunting. pics to come soon... ( hopefully)

post-6311-130162968736_thumb.jpg

Nice fish!!! I love catching pike, especially on light tackle. They fight hard and they'll smash anything that crosses their path.

Here's a pic of good one I caught during a bass tournament.

Chesdin_4.jpg

heres a beast  i caught just today. i just stunk that i was by myself and couldnt get a good pic. this thing was over 25" long and weighed about four pounds.  i swear they keep getting bigger. i wish i got a shot of how wide the head was.

post-6311-130162968751_thumb.jpg

Nice fish!!! I love catching pike, especially on light tackle. They fight hard and they'll smash anything that crosses their path.

Here's a pic of good one I caught during a bass tournament.

Chesdin_4.jpg

are you neer milwaukee? that things got a beer belly.

nice pike. my PB is 30 inches caught on one of my homeade jointed pike lures. it was on the 4th cast with it, and the next cast i had a huge 5-6lb bass on (which would have probably been my PB) but jumped about 15-20 feet from the boat and threw it. ill post some pics of the pike and lures sometime. (we re-did out computer and the pics got erased(good thing for digital cameras :))

aaron

Hey piney where are you pulling theese picks from? Maybe we can go out together one day in the hunt for some. I live really close to the pine barrens too  :D ;D

Man I hate pickerel! You guys really like them things? Pike on the other hand, they are fun, but pickerel......WEAK! ;D If they fought as well as a pike theyd be cool, but pickerel just dont seem to have the "anger" a pike has when hooked. Sorry just my 2 cents. I didnt mean to hate on your pickerel parade! :D

Man I hate pickerel! You guys really like them things? Pike on the other hand, they are fun, but pickerel......WEAK! If they fought as well as a pike theyd be cool, but pickerel just dont seem to have the "anger" a pike has when hooked. Sorry just my 2 cents. I didnt mean to hate on your pickerel parade!

I'm pretty sure that if pickerel grew to 15 pounds you'd realize that they're just as strong as pike.

It's really not fair to take any fish out of context, that's why we separate boxers into weight-classes  :)

Roger

See, I gotta disagree Roger. I dont feel like a 3lb pickerel could hang with a northern of the same size. They just dont have the same intensity, at least in my experience. Oh and I've yet to catch a 15lb pike, which I can imagine is nothing short of electrifying. I caught my first muskie this september. 43" of violent fight. Can't wait to stick a northern that size!!!!

i actually enjoy pickerel fishing more than bass fishing sometimes. I just really enjoy how the picks strike so hard on the lure. they come shootong in and nail it right in front of you. And as for the fight, it depends on the fish. I have caught sunnies that have put up a better fight than a 3 lb bass. I also like when the pickerel jump out of the water. i guess i am just down to catch anything that will bite.

See, I gotta disagree Roger. I dont feel like a 3lb pickerel could hang with a northern of the same size. They just dont have the same intensity, at least in my experience. Oh and I've yet to catch a 15lb pike, which I can imagine is nothing short of electrifying. I caught my first muskie this september. 43" of violent fight. Can't wait to stick a northern that size!!!!

I really feel that all members of the pike family are of similar strength-per-pound,

but if I were splitting hairs, I'd rank them in the following order: Pike - Muskellunge - Pickerel (but not by much).

A lot of pickerel I've caught were much scrappier than a lot of hammerhandle pike I've caught.

Though I've caught fish in the ocean that weighed several hundred pounds,

I still enjoy catching chain pickerel and bluegill sunfish...just lucky I guess ;)

Roger

I think becuse a 1lb pickerel is much longer than a 1lb bass, they fight harder.

A 3lb pickerel is a good (normaly) 3-4" longer than a 3lb bass.

I beilive this extra length gives them more tail power, increasing the fight.

I hooked a 14in pickerel the other day at varner and he got wraped up in a tree top as I eased over to get him off a large mouth around 8 or 10lbs came up and crushed him butt he didn't hold on to him i guess because i was only about 10feet away

I hooked a 14in pickerel the other day at varner and he got wraped up in a tree top as I eased over to get him off a large mouth around 8 or 10lbs came up and crushed him butt he didn't hold on to him i guess because i was only about 10feet away

HOLY COW!!

I can see it now, the new east coast killer lure, the "Chain Pickerel Swimbait" ;D

Roger

Here is the one that I got this year on an X-rap - BLue.

091806PKL2a.jpg

And one of my PB off the ice.

24_25Pkl2a.jpg

24 - 1/4" on a tipup, pulled him in my hand. He made some killer runs before I could get him up thru a 9" hole. 8-)

I can't wait to get back out there. Still 4-6 weeks before before we can get on the ice.  ::)

Fish On!

ok....finally got em back on the computer. here is my PB pike (31" on my homeade lure)

100_0941.jpg

this is the lure i used......the screw eye on the top didnt work, so i had to put it on the lip and wiggles with alot of action

100_0912.jpg

aaron

ok....finally got em back on the computer. here is my PB pike (31" on my homeade lure)

100_0941.jpg

this is the lure i used......the screw eye on the top didnt work, so i had to put it on the lip and wiggles with alot of action

100_0912.jpg

aaron

i think N. pike fins look so cool with their colorations on the fins. Pike are supposed to be larger than pickerel on average, but i keep landing big uns. take a look at the 30" er in my other post "pick me a winner" its crazy to think its as big as your pike.