Sign in to follow this  
Vyron

Big trout lures

I m talking about rainbow trouts bigger than 3 pounds.

What lures ( colors,sizes) do u recommend? I want 2 give a shot 2 trout fishing this year.

I had excellent luck fishing the Rapala X-Rap (XR10) last summer. I think you might want to try the Rapala Countdown, too. I have fished the Lucky Craft Pointer 128, 100 and 78 with good results, but if you are not fishing from a boat, you will not be able to retrieve any of these lures if they get hung up. So, the LC might be a bit expensive for shore fishing.

I guess now that my buddy Vyron has become used to catching 6lb+ bass he wants to teach our big rainbows a good lesson ;)  

He has been urging me to go for serious trout fishing (large rainbows) for the last few weeks and he has been building his trout arsenal. Judging from his performance on largemouth bass and zander (the european cousin of walleye), our big rainbows should go on red alert ;D! And I guess I have to get ready for some serious trout fishing too  ::).....

ok well i fish a spring (to small for boats) call bennett springs...well any way they get ALOT of fishing and stock alot of fish...well in the stream you can gut and fellit your fish and throw the guts and skins in the water..and the trout go into feeding frenzy mode...what i like to do is jig a whit (or any "gut" colored jig off the bottom where i can see it..dont worry i'm not chuming...its just like a lonely piece of gut rolling off the bottom and they just pound it..another bait they like is  those small Rebel crawdad crankbaits... another is a rooster tail or road runner.... good luck.. hope this helps!

I guess what's effective is going to depend upon what part of the country you're in and wheather you're stream-river fishing or lake fishing.Mainly,I fish the North Fork of the Payette River in west central Idaho for big rainbows,and rainbow-cutthroat hybrids,in winter.The "Cast Master" spoons in 1/12 or 1/8 oz. sizes in silver or brass are very effective here.Rainbows of 20 to 24 inches are not uncommon,and anything under 18 inches is not worth mentioning.If you care to use bait,boiled shrimp (2 inch ,and they won't touch raw shrimp ),or worms are effective.The best time to fish here is Jan. through Feb. Snowshoes are necessary.

I would use some Mepps or Rooster Tail spnners in the larger sizes. I have had pretty good luck with them in the past. I would choose white/silver, brass/chartreuse, yellow/silver, green/silver as my basic colors. Make you you read the regs before you go justto make sure you have legal lures and bait.

Good luck and I hope you have fun.

Tom

Here in Pa. we have all different types of water to fish. the best all around lures I have found are the JOE'S FLIES. they come in all sizes and styles , in pa. the royal coachman and the may fly work best . the way we fish them here is to put them in the streams current and work them back and fourth . you will need to adjust you weight to keep them down . but in slow water I don't use any weight at all ( to avoid spooking the fish ) . if you want to try them and they are not in a local shop , go to Joesflies.com .       Good Luck and hope this helps

ANOTHER:

A 1/32 OZ. BLACK AND YELLOW MARIBOU JIG ANY TIME OF DAY. NOW ABOUT THE 3 POUND THING THATS ALL ABOUT LUCK BUT I GARUNTEE THAT U WILL CATCH MORE.......................THE MORE THE MARRIER. AND IT INCREASES YOURE CHANCES OF CATCHIN THAT (FISH OF A LIFETIME). HOPE THIS HELPS ALSO.... WHERE DO U FISH 4 TROUT AT?