Sign in to follow this  
bighed

Just Back from Taneycomo

I just got back from a quick trip to Big Cedar Lodge after an invite from a friend at work. Big Cedar is one NICE place and I can't wait to return! I had planned to fish Table Rock until I spoke to a guide at their marina and he said the fish were very deep and scattered right now. Decided to give the trout in Taneycomo a try. I had read up a bit on Ozarkanglers.com before leaving just in case but had never been trout fishing in my life. My boy and I put our boat in Monday morning with the plan of going toward the dam into the trophy zone as far as possible. We made it within a 1/2 mile or so of the dam before the water depth had me chickening out. Started throwing crappie jigs and roostertails in the fast moving water and started catching right away. Around 10am they shut off the water and the bite went nuts. We caught around 30-40 fish, mostly 10-15" with the exception of one really nice 21" that bit my 1/32 oz. olive colored jig. All fish were released quickly and carefully to be caught another day. My friend joined us for a second trip on Tuesday and we had equally good results except for the big fish. The water ran all day and we caught fish on all drifts until we were out of the trophy area. I had hoped to put my son on a few fish a day and was really pleased with our results. Thanks to the Missouri fishermen for the use of your resource. It's an awsome fishery to say the least!!! big

picture129ux5.jpg

picture134di6.jpg

Very Nice!!!!

I have some great memories on that river.  Back in middle school and early high school, my best friends and our dads headed went down there for spring break.  Fishing was only half the fun.

We usually rented two pontoons a day and each boat would easily catch in the 100's on average.  Not really my type of fishing, but the camaraderie was fun.

Excellent!

Hey thanks, this is timely. I'm going this week. Hope we do half as well.

Cheers,

GK