Sign in to follow this  
Fish Man

crappie pond

ok here are some pics of a small farm pond by my house...my question is do any of yall think it could support large crappie?...thanx

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

wut do u think.....if it helps we think the pond is roughly 1/4 of an acre

P.S it looks larger in the pic than in real life

Put some in there, but not too many and watch them grow! Might want to put a few bass in there as well!

I would if i had a pond like that! I'm jealous. ;)

Are there any kind of fish in there?

there alot of fish already in the pond...there are tons of  blue gill...a few cats....minnows....some crappie but not alot..an we recently stocked it with bass an hybrids

Hey you gave me a great idea I'm going to take  a picture of the ponds I've been fishing. 1 of them is extremely huge and has lots of fish and the other has few fish but freakin MONSTERS!!! I think they need some more fish or they are going to die do to no food. I'm going to start fishing the river when I get my car back...One of  the ponds I fish is about 50yards wide and around 200 long. The other is about 100by50 yards...Oh and the Monster pond has a Peacock.

I've caught some nice Crappie from small ponds and lakes. Usually using Bass lures so that might be why they had some size.

Don't have any first hand knowledge of this but have heard it from several sources. Here in the South with all the warm weather, Crappie are supposed to be way worse than Bream (in smaller waters) about going wild and over populating.

As Ever,

Skillet

yea up here in DE its the blue gills(bream) that go absolutely nuts.we are gonna try to put in larger bass to try an get rid of some of the blue gills so the bass can get a foothold an asteablesh themsleves

I was thinking of putting some catfish in these ponds by my house do you guys think they could survive? Also there is an abundant amount of Bass in 1 of the ponds how can I keep them alive and not die? I was told that minnows will die if its not running water like in a river. If I can keep them up of course I want to make'em fat so give me some ideas. Minnows would be easy I have a creak over here with LOTS, of creek Shad.

im pretty sure in most states unless the waterway is private that it is illegal to put any fish into them. This is because there needs to be a proper balance. In maryland though if you own a pond you can call the dnr and they will stock it for you if it is deemed appropriate!

im pretty sure in most states unless the waterway is private that it is illegal to put any fish into them. This is because there needs to be a proper balance. In maryland though if you own a pond you can call the dnr and they will stock it for you if it is deemed appropriate!

oh I'm not to worried about that, this place is very secluded. and if I don't put some in the other pond all the monsters will die. Not one time have we went out there and cought anything other than huge bass. They need something to feed on. As far as the catfish goes it was just me boggling on. I really do need to put something in both of these ponds for them to feed on. They are running out of small fish I believe.

P.S they are private ponds.

yes the pond in my pic is owned by my grandfather

Since the pond IS owned in the family, try a handful of hybrid striped bass.  They eat everything in sight and fight much better than largemouths.  Crappie have a tendency to overpopulate small ponds like this and end up stunted.  

Now if that was my pond and I found you sneaking crappie in there,  I'd stock your butt with birdshot  :))    

the other has few fish but freakin MONSTERS!!! I think they need some more fish or they are going to die do to no food.

I suspect that the large bass are eating all the fry before they get established.  Providing some forage for them is definitely the way to go.  This will allow some of the small bass to grow up and will ensure continued good fishing for years to come.