Sign in to follow this  
GatorBK

Grass Carp help needed

OK I live here in FL and there are thses giant grass carp in the lake where I fish. I would like to catch one for the fight they are 4 feet long. These are not regular carp . And they are different from the grass carp you see in the rivers .

What can I use for bait??? I have tried basics bread ,worms,corn and even heard tomatoe slices work but they dont . Any Ideas?

I am not sure the exact species of carp they are ? I think they were stocked in this lake like 15 yrs ago for grass control. I know I have seen grass carp on TV the invasive kind but these are different . Any insight on these would be helpful. Thanks

Corn or bread are probably your best bet. There are some other threads in this forum about carp, try searching them out.

I think a big part of fishing for carp sometimes is to just be patient. I would take a couple of rods and soak a few lines at a time to increase your chances of getting bit.

I do a little bit of common carp fishing up here in NJ but i guess the two would be similar. My bait of choice is chick peas boiled in water and honey. I used to belong to a carp fishing club so here's the like to their website

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/

they have their own forum as well.

Hope everything works out

steve

Spend a couple of days observing the fish to ascertain what they are eating.

Grass carp are a notoriously hard species to catch.

Most that are stocked are sterile and must be returned to the water ASAP.

BK u and me are having the same problem i live in florida also i fish in a lake in orlando and it is loaded with carp we have tried sweet corn, bread, and doughballs and we havent had any luck.u can see the fish on the beds and throw right in front of them and they just look at it like they are stupid or sumthing.i have also heard that u can take some of that snotgrass stuff and make it into balls and let it dry out and that works but i havent tried that yet let me know if u start having luck so i can catch some too i just want to catch them because they are so big and they put up a great fight.

GBF

Burley as far as I can tell they just eat grass/waterweeds . They come right up in the shallows their backs even come out of the water. They have ceratin places they eat , I cast a line out and let it lay their while I'm bass fishing. they wont eat nothing though atleast not stuff you catch regular carp on.

They must be sterile I dont see them spawn and they are all between 3 to 4 feet there arent smaller ones so I beleive they are from the original stocking.

If I find anything Georgia I will let you know , I have asked in a few other places on the net too. If they were regular carp I could catch them , I sur e would like to find a bait to catch them they have to be 50 or 60 pounds each one is close to 4 feet long.

STRING CHEESE !! and MINI WHEATS!!

That's what I have caught nice sized carp with. That and hot dog bun, but I see you've tried bread.

Try and fat bunch of worms on a hook  ? Or string cheese.

are there any ficus trees that are near the water? if there are, ficus berries are the best bait. if there are no ficus trees near the water, find one and pick as many berries as you can. make sure you pick green ones, red ones, and the juicy purple ones. you have to find which one they like. i will catch carp only if the bass/peacock/chiclid fishing is slow. my biggest carp bottomed out my 30# boga grip. they are a blast to catch. good luck

Ive read that GRASS is good for grass carp (no joke - fix some lawn clippings on to your hook somehow).

I believe fishing for grass carp and regular carp are two different stories.

I will have to try that Boca , there are a couple Ficus trees around I will have to check out. Thats the best Idea I have heard yet.

Bpm , I havent tried regular grass , I have put algae on a tiny treble hook but didnt get one to bite. I may try soem grass though  

There is a huge difference between the common carp and the grass carp.

Around here, the only time the grass carp really bite is in the fall when the acorns are falling.

Believe it or not but you can catch them with lettuce (or other salad). I never fished for grass carp but that's what some guys here in europe use and with sucess. Take some smaller pieces and and throw them in the water and watch them eat it! Hooking the lettuce is bit difficult i guess.

A carp is enough fight when mouth-hooked.  I wouldn't want to tangle with a snagged one.

Couldn't be any worse than the foul-hooked sailfish I caught a few years ago.

They are notoriously hard to catch and the property owners usually don't want you to because they are stocked to eat the weeds.  Anything soft and vegetable should work.  You will probably have to nearly mouth snag em to get them to hit.

Guest Necroshine
OK I live here in FL and there are thses giant grass carp in the lake where I fish. I would like to catch one for the fight they are 4 feet long. These are not regular carp . And they are different from the grass carp you see in the rivers .

What can I use for bait??? I have tried basics bread ,worms,corn and even heard tomatoe slices work but they dont . Any Ideas?

I am not sure the exact species of carp they are ? I think they were stocked in this lake like 15 yrs ago for grass control. I know I have seen grass carp on TV the invasive kind but these are different . Any insight on these would be helpful. Thanks

Hey Bk, try vegetables like Green Beans or those small  Broccoli pieces you get on a salad.  I hear Bagels also work pretty well too.   Just float this stuff in their general area and see what happens.

Whats the name of this lake in your area?  I live in Ocala and am hard pressed to get any information on where grassies are here.  I fish for Commons up in the Apalachicola River, normally.   I'd like to get down there and try this place out.  

Why would you bother to shoot arrows at whales? >:(

Or is that pic photoshopped?

No idea, I just grabbed it from Google Images.

I went to the photographer's site, and it is a real pic.  Apparently it is a way to harvest a DNA Sample from Whales.  Not hunting, but doing actual scientific research.  Here is the caption from the photo:

Darting Right Whales, 40 miles south of Cape Sable Island. A bow and arrow are used to take skin samples from right whales for population management study through DNA analysis. Some blubber samples are taken with hollow-tipped arrows. Nova Scotia, Canada.

i figured it was for something scientific, but I thought they might be shooting tracking devices into them, I know they do that with a lot of fish.

No idea, I just grabbed it from Google Images.

I went to the photographer's site, and it is a real pic. Apparently it is a way to harvest a DNA Sample from Whales. Not hunting, but doing actual scientific research. Here is the caption from the photo:

Darting Right Whales, 40 miles south of Cape Sable Island. A bow and arrow are used to take skin samples from right whales for population management study through DNA analysis. Some blubber samples are taken with hollow-tipped arrows. Nova Scotia, Canada.

That's good to know!

I live in Boca Raton Florida and have stalked grass carp behind my folks new house for almost a year.  After trying many baits and lures, I thought I solved the mystery to catching these fish. I landed my first one on a single blade of grass on a tiny hook and bobber. however it never worked again!!! If there is any way to consistantly catch these fish please let me know. In the meantime, I will try boiled chic peas and lettuce as others have suggested.

If they are grass carp not regular carp try a jitterbug. that is a little trick that I learned while fishing for bass in my neighborhood pond once. The carp think that it is a cicada on the surface and just crush it like a bass would.