Sign in to follow this  
basser89

PB walleye on the Potomac

My fishing partner and I decided to try our luck on the Potomac this morning. We figured on throwin for some smallies and muskies. We fished a section we've had luck on in the past. We managed a few small smallies and my partner had a musky hit one bait but couldn't get hooked up. While I was musky fishing I had a decent hit and thought at first I had a small musky on. As I got it closer to the boat we realized I had a decent walleye on! My partner assisted me in netting her and there she was! My PB walleye. She was 24" and weighed 4lbs 8oz. Later, while smallie fishing I lucked into another walleye on a jerkbait. Almost thought I had broken my PB again! The second one was 22" and weighed 4lbs 8oz too! Here is a pic of the 24 incher.

post-161-130162969693_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the new PB!! They are fun to catch,  the musky too cept for all the slime when ya get em in lol. Its a good day when ya can catch a variety like you did.  

Nice fish! Dad wants to know who you was fishing with. We went to Walker and caught a few largemouth. I sent you a PM about it.

Where were you fishing on the Potomac.  I have a 14 ft v-hull and would like to fish the Potomac but I thought the water would be to rough.  I fish out of the Occoquan Reservoir on a normal day.

Nice work basser89. You must have been fishing with a real river genius to find walleyes like that. (LOL)

8-) You were those shades because your future is so bright right? 7 citations and next thing you know you will bust my record.

I must say, I didnt realize how fat my pb was until you put it into perspective. Mine was only 29", but almost 11lbs. Anyways, what musky bait were you using that a walleye took?

Thanks All! Until yesterday, the few walleyes that I have caught have been right around the keeper limit (15"), so it was a great surprise to see not one but two solid walleyes! The second one was pretty cool as I got to see it come up and take the jerkbait I was throwing for smallies!

fishingfourfun, when I fish the Potomac, I fish in Washington county. There are sections you can fish even without an outboard (mine was stolen in the spring). You just have to make sure the flow isn't too fast!!!

Cigarlover, congrats for your first Massachusetts walleye!

"You must have been fishing with a real river genius to find walleyes like that. " MskSlyr, you need to be a bit more humble since you're the genius I was with!!!   ;D   Next trip, there won't be any delays getting us out on the water!!!!!!! I checked when I got home and found out citation for walleye is 26" so no citation for that one.  :(  That will be a rough one to get!!!!

rocknfish, I was using a jointed 6" Believer crank.

Rocknfish that is a monster. The biggest we have seen was 29 3/4 inches and it did not break ten pounds. I think another pic does Basser89's fish more justice. Here is a good pic from a horizontal hold. Walleye over ten pounds in MD has only happened as far as I know from my biologis contacts 6 times.

post-6238-130162969699_thumb.jpg

WTG Basser!!! You'll have to show me how to get to that spot you texted me about one weekend..

I'm also glad you weren't greedy ;) about the muskies ;D...

Tux

Hey Tux,

You know the mentality of a musky fishermen he can't divulge trade secrets. He would tell you but then we would have to kill you. I don't know about basser89 but I will give you a hint: It is in Washington County (LOL). I will have to touch base with you sometime and ask you a couple questions about some PA musky spots, Basser89 does not want to let me play in the reindeer games up there.  :'(

LOL Well it looks like we may have to do some bartering MskSlyr on where this place is and you coming up and playing on Pa., lakes, for muskies...

Besides I've never had the pleasure of catching a walleye, I've had my fun with muskies on my (as Basser grumbles) ultra light rig, on more than one or 2 occasions.. I'd be wanting the walleyes mainly.. I've heard they're right up there with crappie (on the taste)...

Nice fish Big Bro!!  

BTW, no luck with the muskies @ Little Buffalo, Did see some AWESOME largemouth at the breast of the dam, but we couldn't get to them without a boat :'(.