Sign in to follow this  
armesjr

Catching Grass Carp

So i was fishing a local pond, when i saw a huge triploid grass carp.  This thing had to be at least 3 1/2- 4 feet long.   I am now determined to catch the thing.  These things main diet is obviously grass, and i was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching these specific type of carp and what they have used.  

Someone paid good money to put that fish in there to control the weeds.  They are sterile and don't reproduce, so please don't bother them.  

it is proven that grass carp are more of a danger to fish habitats in the States then common carp. :o Ask doug.

Doug who?

You know, I am having second thoughts about my admonition to leave the grass carp alone. I do most of my bass fishing in a fifteen acre reservoir in my neighborhood. When I first moved in there was a good population of lily pads in the lake that provided cover for bass. The big bass population was strong.

The geniuses on the fish and wildlife committee in our subdivision, bowing to pressure from lakefront property owners, bought grass carp and put in the lake. Now, there is no aquatic vegetation to speak of and the bass population is suffering for it.

Dick Durbin

Tallahassee

Olebiker, i dont hate grass carp, i caught many in the past and they are a hard fighting fish. The problem with this fish is how it eats, it can eat almost two or three times more then common carp.

The grass carp feeds in a way that it throws up the food and kills the plants and fish population. Common carp dont harm your body of water like the grass carp. The grass carp is a serious threat, and will destroy you fish habitat or any body of water in States.

Grass carp are only recommended in areas or ponds that have excessive weed or grass growth. Like the others say they are a serious threat and should be avoided.

But if you are interested in catching and releasing them, canned corn is another option. Just take a nice size hook and thread on a few pieces of soft, canned corn and they will eat it.

Good luck!  :D

serious threat and should be avoided.

serious threat and shouldn't be avoided. If you have a chance to catch one, dont release it back.

So i was fishing a local pond, when i saw a huge triploid grass carp.  This thing had to be at least 3 1/2- 4 feet long.   I am now determined to catch the thing.  These things main diet is obviously grass, and i was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching these specific type of carp and what they have used.  

Tommy toe tomatoes, just hook one up and toss it out there, their all time favorite is mulberries though,, if you can find some

Dang good fish to eat by the way,, unlike the common carp