Sign in to follow this  
coachkiss

Getting son started fishing tournaments...

My son is 10 and has been hounding me for a year to sign us up in a Father/Son Tournament or just as a team.  Here are my concerns:

1.  I'm not that good with my boat yet.  I have fished it twice.  

2.  He thrives on competition, but he also enjoys catching fish.  Is it harder to catch fish during tournaments?  Is it due to pressure?  Nerves?

3.  I'm looking for one day events in North Texas.  

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off, WELCOME!

As for tournaments.

1. Who cares how good you are with the boat can you catch fish out of it? I've never been in a tournament where they gave out extra credit for boat control.

2. I don't believe it's necessarily harder to catch fish in a tournament. The only thing that poses a problem is if your on a lake you are familiar with, and your spots are well know, you might have some of the tourney guys sitting on them when you get there, or have fished them. And forget about things you hear about what is working or where they are biting fish with what you are comfortable with, and the way you are comfortable with.

3. You might want to check out the Fisher Of Men National Tournament Trail for northern Texas and contact them to see if your son can fish it. (Those under 18 years of age may participate with written permission from a parent or guardian.)

http://www.fomntt.com/

Or contact some local tackle shops and see if anyone is running some less expensive Father/Son tournaments.

Just do it have fun and think of the memorys you will have. I have twin boy's that are 5 I can not wait to go out on a tourney with them!! Bad day or good day out on the water is time well spent with your kids.

You are right about the lower entry fees.  Our local BPS has a Tuesday night tournament every Tuesday.  I thought about it.  I'm willing to pay to learn, but I would like cheaper lessons.

I never liked fishing and I went a lot with my grandfather and some with my dad.  I just didn't like it.  When my son got introduced by his mother and her parents, I thought it was a waste of time.  

Something happened, though, and I'm as passionate as he is.

My main worry with the boat is making a fool of myself at the ramp.  My previous boat was an aluminum boat with a trolling motor.  

The bigger and heavier boat plays havoc on me.  Should I just arrive super early and launch to give myself time and space?

My main worry with the boat is making a fool of myself at the ramp. My previous boat was an aluminum boat with a trolling motor.

The bigger and heavier boat plays havoc on me. Should I just arrive super early and launch to give myself time and space?

No.

You should spend some time in an empty school or church parking lot and practice backing up. I use my mirrors, but a lot of guys turn sideways so they are looking back. Either way, you need to just get out and practice. Once you "get it" you got it!

8-)

The guys that fish tourneys are usually great.  If it were me, I'd go to check-in and ask if someone could help you get the boat into the water.

Do like roadwarrior said and practice  ;)

There are numerous tournament trails in Texas and unless your son is actually operating the boat there is no age restriction.  

Go to a parking lot and practice. You will be suprised how fast you pick it up. Most of the people at the launch will have no problem helping you if you just ask.

I can back a 33 foot travel trailer with no problem.  However, it isn't on an incline and it doesn't seem to jackknife as easily as the boat does.  

Then, my son sits in the boat while I start and get it off the trailer.  I lash it to the dock and then get out and pull the trailer out, park the truck, and get back in.  It seems to take me an inordinate amount of time.  Then, the boat has starting issues when I least want it to.

I'm going to take the boat to a marine place this weekend, get it tuned up, get out and practice, and fish it.  

Thanks for getting me off my keister.

something to comtemplate.  here in my area, theres a very small dock and if you lash to it, you block other people from puttin in.   depending on the lake and the dock size, try teaching you son how to run the trolling motor so he can back it away from the dock and allow others to put in, then he can come back and get you once ur on the dock.  also the biggest thing with the trailer, like everyone else says, is practice.  

in regards to tourneys, it seems that in north texas, there should be something like a weekly-evening tourneys, that should be fairly easy on the wallet (heres it $7, and happens every thursday)

best of luck!

Hi Coach, I was in your shoes not too long ago.  My son is my tourny partner and at 14 he's getting pretty good.  Don't worry about learning the boat, just get out there and get with it.  You might want to avoid the most popular ramps on weekends until summer is over.  Is it harder to catch fish during tournaments?  Can be.  They force you out of your comfort zone and cause you to fish lakes you have not been to on days you might have decided to stay at home due to the weather or season.  My kid never had nerves but would usually fall asleep at some time during the day.    Here in N Texas bass t's are very popular.  Lots to choose from on almost every weekend.  We fish a small club out of Sherman that is very laid back.  You can choose to fish one day from fri-mon on tourny weekend.  Entry is only $15 each plus side pots and we rarely fish far off.  Texoma, RR, Bonham, Fork are the usuals.   You would fish with the adults and your son the kids.  It's a great place to get your feet wet.  Also, check texasfishingforum.com for lots more local info.  big