Sign in to follow this  
Bass Hole

prefishing cut off ?

Here's what happened

I had to DQ two teams from a tournament for fishing after the pre fishing off limits.

Thy fished another tournament the day before on the same lake.

The rules state the cut off day and time witch thy signed before the tournament just to make it clear I did not have this info until midway through the day and it was proven from the other tournaments results posted on the web.

I have no doubt that these teams should have been DQed my question is should thy be entitled to a refund ?

when answering keep in mind that these teams are not new to fishing tournaments but have been around for a long time and should have known better.

and to make matters worse one of the teams put his 17lbs of small mouth back in his live well and kept them.

what do you guys think?

I was a club tournament director for many years. You said you have printed rules, but I assume that you don't address the matter of refunds in regards to a DQ.

I wouldn't be concerned that the teams are not new to fishing tournaments but have been around for a long time and should have known better. Rules are rules, and when you start applying rules differently to participants you open yourself up to bigger problems. I would keep the money. It sends two messages: One, you won't tolerate breaking of the rules. Two, it sends a clear message out there to others. Becasue by keeping the entry fee, it stops others who would take the chance of getting away with it, and thinking they will get their money back if they get caught.

Now if they fight it, I would discuss it with the other members of your organization. And if they feel its not worth the hassle, then give back the money and ban them from all future tournaments. That sends a powerful message to other organizations about these guys (word spreads quickly with bass tournament guys).

Personally, I always fought prefishing off-limits rules. Basically because it is next to impossible to enforce it for a small organization.

No refund

they knew better

Sounds like they thought they might slide by.

Be firm

Be fair

Be consistant

Great post!

I think this response might apply to a wide range of topics.

8-)

I agree with the DQ and I would not refund their money.  Period.

If you refund their money it could cause some people to believe they could cheat and if they get caught it would not cost them anything monetarily.  They could see it as atleast a 100% return on their money with the possibility of much much more.

Thanks for the reply's

This happened back in May but resurfaced recently and I wanted to get some outside opinions on it.

Rest assured that the discussion was mine alone and there were no refunds given.

Thanks again