Sign in to follow this  
bass buster

Nervous as you know what!!

Hi All!  I signed up for my very first BASS Open Tournament on the Harris Chain scheduled for the end of the month.  I was singing the bad weather blues here in Indiana and I thought how cool it would be to fish with some Pro's as a Co-Angler for the Open.  Now that I am in the planning stages and I am so stressed.  What and how much fishing tackle to bring.  What tactics will my Pro be using?  How am I going to get all my equipment from Indiana to Florida?  Etc Etc Etc

Have anyone of you ever fished the opens as a pro or co-angler?  What should I do?  What should I bring?  I need help here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-?

You're gonna have a blast. Going as a co can be a riot. I've done it a couple of times and have nothing but good thing to say.

One thing you will wnat to remember is to travel light. Don't over pack a tackle box. Take the things that you have confidence in and don't worry about the rest. Try to throw something a little different than the pro. You are going to have to show the fish something different to get bit behind the seine net in the front of the boat. I only took 4 rods with me in the boat. Also a medium sized tackle bag. I had a truck full of stuff to choose from but kept it light in the boat.

Don't try to outfish your pro. Yes you are competing for money and shelled out money to be there, but think how it would be if someone came to your job and tried to out work you or tell you how to do your job. My experience is if you treat them with respect you will get the same in return.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

I sure appreciate the info.  Thank you.  I am really looking forward to it.  Three days with nothing but fishing on my mind.  Did you get paired up with an Elite Pro?  What are the chances of that?

It is a random draw. Regardless of who you get paired with it will be a learning experience. Most of those guys in that trail are very experienced anglers you can learn from. What I did after the day was over was to log things down as to what happened during the day. That way if you ever go back you can refer to that at that time.

Early spring in FL can be hot. I hope you have stable weather.

It can also be cold.  Don't think that because it's Florida you can wear shorts.  It could be in the 30s as easily as the 80s that time of year.

It can also be cold. Don't think that because it's Florida you can wear shorts. It could be in the 30s as easily as the 80s that time of year.

I was talking about the fishing. If it's 30 deg the fishing will be cold too.

Relax & enjoy the experience; catching is secondary  ;)

One thing I am concerned with is what tackle to bring. I want to throw something consistant to what the pro is throwing. Do I need to bring a little bit of everything? Spinner, crank, worms, frogs/topwater? If you were in this tournament and you were bringing 4 rods what tackle would you rig them with? Thanks!

Here is what I wouldhave rigged off the top of my head.

1. Lipless crankbait on braided line med/hvy rod 7'.

You can cover water with this in any part of the lake.

2. Senko weightless texas rigged 14# flouro line med/hvy rod.

Throw this around the weed beds or any other cover you're around.

3. Mojo rig w/trick worm junebug 14# flouro med rod

Same areas as the senko.

4. small texas rig baby brush hog 3.16 oz sinker 14# flouro med rod

throw this anywhere.

Keep in mind the night before the tourny you will have a chance to talk to your pro and find out a general idea on what he will be doing. You cna rerig if needed. Also do some research on the internet and find out what are the prevailing patterns for that time of year.

Here what I was thinking-

1) Medium action spinning rod with 14# flourocarbon with 7" culprit Lizard for bedding bass

2) Medium heavy 7' rod with rigged with Power Pro and a SPRO frog

3) Medium heavy 7' rod with Power Pro with a lipless crank bait

4) Medium Heavy 7' rod with 14# Stren and a 3/16 weight and brush hog

Alot will depend on water temp and whether or not bass will be bedding. Running the frog is my favorite thing to do. I have hard time putting that away.

i live in Indiana what about you ZBass?

Bring it all! You can fish with me Tuesday during official practice if you want to get your game together, and get over the jitters. Heading down on the 18th.

bass buster- im from around here and your gonna be in pre-spawn to spawn. just bring cranks(traps gold and green shiner, bomber 6A firetiger!) flippin/pitchin gear, and whatever else your confidence baits are. the fish should be shallow and hopefully not on beds if your a nonboater(unless you like getting back-boated..) good luck to ya let me know how it goes!

unless you like getting back-boated

who wouldnt like getting back boated?

It's alot cheaper than owning one!  No insurance, no gas, no storage, no up keep.  That is whay i am looking to buy!!!!!!!!!