Sign in to follow this  
ww2farmer

Elite Series Pro Matt Sphar

Matt and I are from the same area, and when he's not out on tour, I have seen his rig in the parking lot while I have been on the water many times, but never have met him. Finally got the chance this week, and he couldn't have been a nicer guy.

I ran to a little canal on the lake we were fishing and found it empty and proceeded to  start fishing it, Matt comes in behind me, and we strike up a conversation. He fishes one side and I fish the other, his side has a few nice laydowns that I get quality fish from often. And I figure maybe I'll learn something watching a pro pick it apart. Well he stops short of the tree, and says "it's all yours" , and I say " no go ahead, I fish that tree dozens of times during the season", but he backs away. Anyways, just a nice gesture, and given the current stories of jerkish behavior in bass fishing thought it would be nice to give the guy a thumbs up from me.

BTW, that tree did not produce a good fish that night LOL.

Sounds like a great guy...that's something more people should practice...good manners. Thumbs up to him.

i have also met matt and your right...he is a great guy...i root for him when keeping up with the tournaments...what lake are you/were you fishing

A few quick notes about Matt

Last season, when I was working on a documentary series with Jason Quinn, we filmed an episode at the Paralyzed Veterans of America Bass Tournament on the Potomac River. We needed a couple of other pros to help us get recently returned servicemen and women out on the water. Matt (and fellow pro Todd Auten), spent their own money and time to be part of the event.

Matt originally wanted to be a world-class downhill skier, but messed up his foot pretty bad and had to give it up. His dad told me that Matt had to find some outlet for his competitive nature, and when he discovered tournament bass fishing, that was it. He earned his way to the elites through club tournaments, local events and finally the Opens.

He's a really good guy, and definitely one worth rooting for.

--SM

Matt has a lot fans here locally.  We are always rooting for him.  Great story!

There's a guy in my bass club that has fished co-angler with Matt in the past and he had real good things to say about him also. Matt did pretty good here on Smith Mtn last month in the Elite. I'd like to see him win one, or two. Karma IS on his side.