Sign in to follow this  
arul

Langill's DQ at Guntersville...

Did you catch the controversy this week?  another site has a decent article about it.  It goes to the age old question- when does fishing near a guy's spot become a rules violation versus just a sportsmanship issue.

I know in the FLW BFL's I fish, they tell you that you only get that 50 ft. buffer when you are anchored.  Is it the same for BASS?  It seems like there are 2 sides to the story in this case, but I am not sure BASS took into account Langill's marshall testimony.  Here are Langill's marshal's quotes:

"I think he was railroaded and he doesn't deserve to be DQd," said Mike Youtsey of Columbus, Ga., who was onboard Langill's boat for day 2. "(Duckett and Langill) were standing there talking and Boyd's boat just drifted into Kevin's it wasn't an intentional deal. I'm disappointed in the way it's been handled."

Said Jim Beach of Ponchatoula, La., who was Langill's day-1 marshal: "I can only recount what happened on day 1, and they were fishing, I'd say, within two long casts of each other, and they fished like that for a good while. They were never close enough where I felt it could be considered unsportsmanlike. A lot of times you see guys almost touching each other."

I would like to know how BASS came to the ruling they did in light of this testimony... very interesting....

Not only was he DQ'ed, he was suspended from the Elites for the rest of the year.

He has filed an appeal through his attorneys.

This one is ugly arleady.     Either way it goes, its ugly for all involved.

Yeah- I also forgot to add, I heard an extensive interview with Boyd Duckett where he says Langill showed up the day after the DQ to confront Boyd at the dock, and then followed him to the fishing spot and proceeded to do donuts around Duckett and followed him around all day harrassing...  

I find that HILARIOUS and bizarre!

If this is the case, that is some crazy stuff.  Drama on the High Seas...

I would like to see that go down on ESPN, but I doubt they would ever show the footage...  :'( :'( :(

In sort of the same breath I think Marten's should have been penalized for his actions on the final day

"The day started inauspiciously enough for Martens as his first spot roughly a 10-foot area was filled by a local boat. The 2005 Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year ran to his next spot, only to encounter the same boat, which Martens said intentionally stirred up his area to make it virtually unfishable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tournaments/elite/news/story?id=4156856

Very poor sportsmanship in my eyes, what a looser, isn't this public water? Just cause he is fishing for money doesn't give him the right to thrash another aglers location and I'm a huge fan of tourney fishing.

Harshman

Again, you post the same thing...

Again I ask, why would Martens be penalized when another angler stirred up his spot?

You guys need to take a deep breath, give these guys a break.

In his radio interview, Duckett says that on

Day 1 Langill came into his spot and cut him off. Duckett filed a complaint after Day 1.

Day 2 Langill confronted Duckett (over the filed complaint) on the same spot, bumping Ducketts boat several times in the process. He hung around close enough that Duckett had to eventually leave the area to find new water to fish. He filed an official protest after Day 2 and Langill was DQ'd.

Day 3 Langill shows up at blast off raising h.e.l.l. at Duckett and the tournament directors in general, making a big scene. He even climbed onto Duckett's boat before blast off to have more words with him. After blast off, Langill shows up on Duckett's spot and rides circles around his boat making it all but impossible for Duckett to fish. Duckett headed back to the dock, called the local sheriff and had Langill removed from the lake.

I'd really like to hear Langill's side of things as well as his marshal's stories about the incident. If Boyd's account of the happenings is 100% true, that Langill guy has real issues. I'd still like to hear his side of it.

This is very unfortunate for all involved, like Matt said. Knowing this could all have been avoided very easily.

I would like to see that go down on ESPN, but I doubt they would ever show the footage... :'( :'( :(

If they had this, they would surely air it. That channel thrives on controversy.

In sort of the same breath I think Marten's should have been penalized for his actions on the final day

"The day started inauspiciously enough for Martens as his first spot roughly a 10-foot area was filled by a local boat. The 2005 Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year ran to his next spot, only to encounter the same boat, which Martens said intentionally stirred up his area to make it virtually unfishable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tournaments/elite/news/story?id=4156856

Very poor sportsmanship in my eyes, what a looser, isn't this public water? Just cause he is fishing for money doesn't give him the right to thrash another aglers location and I'm a huge fan of tourney fishing.

Harshman

Go back and read it again.  Martens didn't stir up the local guy's hole.  The local guy stirred it up so Martens couldn't fish it.

You should have seen Langill at blast-off on Day 3, trying to get the microphone from emcee Keith Alan. The cops were called, it was an ugly scene.

I've heard conflicting reports as to what actually happened on the water on Days 1 and 2, and whether or not it actually warranted a DQ. But the Day 3 insanity was over the top.

My first impressions were that I'd like to hear a lot more from the marshals since that's what they're there for. However, after Langill's day 3 actions, he lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. Those aren't the actions of someone who didn't do anything.

Grant Goldbeck has released a statement today. Apparently he was sharing that same spot with Duckett and backed off of it once Duckett started catching fish. He was the closest other competitor and he said that Duckett had every right to be upset and that Langill was in the wrong. He even goes on to say that he would have taken Langill to the bank for a fist fight haha.

My first impressions were that I'd like to hear a lot more from the marshals since that's what they're there for.

Exactly. I agree with this 100%.

Both sides have witnesses to validate their stories.

Langill said Duckett saw his bent rod pattern during practice as he was passing by.

Duckett said he fished the spot in past years, and he didn't want to stop there in practice because he didn't want to tip the spot off to others.

Duckett's protest day one,   Langills marshall said they were never within 2 casts of each other.   Hmmm.      

these guys are the people that represent our sport to the public...if half of the stuff i have heard is true, he should be banned for life from the elites..

these guys are the people that represent our sport to the public...if half of the stuff i have heard is true, he should be banned for life from the elites..

That might be just what he gets. Dude flipped out at the Day 3 blast off....

No matter what really happened on day 1 & 2 there is no excusing what Langill did on day 3.  After that I don't think he has a leg to stand on as far as any lawsuit goes.

No matter what really happened on day 1 & 2 there is no excusing what Langill did on day 3.

I've been trying to form an objective opinion on what happened just from what I've read on the internet reports and radio interviews.

Langill's marshals on Day 1 and 2 both say that anything that may have occured were not viewed by either one as unsportsmanlike. If in fact, the events of Day 1 and 2 were not deemed to be unsportsmanlike (by his marshals) I can see where a guy with a temper could 'lose it' over $9500 bucks.

On the other hand, when you hear Duckett talk about what happened, it sounds like Langill just did what he wanted to on that hole and acted like Boyd wasn't on the spot first. I dont agree with that, IF that's true.

Once the initial complaint was filed by Duckett after Day 1, both Day 1 marshals should have been questioned and that's it. Same thing with Day 2. This is exactly what the marshals are there for. The problem I have is that it sounds like all the marshals were questioned but Langill's marshals accounts didnt match Duckett's marshals accounts. How does that happen? They all saw the same thing.

But in the end, unless you saw the events in person from start to finish, everything you hear is pure speculation. And we all know there's 3 sides to every story. His story, the other guy's story and the truth.

ditto 5BL. This was the marshal program's first REAL test and I think it's gotten a pretty low grade so far. An F in my mind. It seems that they have relied more upon the words of the elites than of the marshals.

ditto 5BL. This was the marshal program's first REAL test and I think it's gotten a pretty low grade so far. An F in my mind. It seems that they have relied more upon the words of the elites than of the marshals.

correct- I am a little confused whether or not BASS took into account Langill's Marshals.  Perhaps that is why he got so hot and bent out of shape- felt railroaded perhaps?...  Did the marshals tell the truth, or do you think they are intimidated to take sides against their boater?  If the marshal account is accurate, then I would have been equally as peeved as Langill was.

Now- can someone tell me how 1 fisherman claims a spot or cast his and another can't fish it?  Say there is a grass patch the size of a big rig.  If another angler is off to one side casting to it, can't I pull up off to the other side and cast into it as well?  As long as I am not hindering the other guy from making his casts, I can fish it too right?  I know that if I am in a BFL tourney and have a specific spot, I am going to ANCHOR, which then igives me a buffer that another boat can't come in on.  

Langill has a nice web site.

Go visit it.

Done very professionally.

With all of the stress of being a professional bass fisherman it is really wonderful that more guys don't blow up more often.

Remember when Ike lost it?

The passion to do well and the stress of fishing can get to you, just like in any profession where there is a lot of stress.

Kevin needs a vacation.  :D   :D   :D

No matter what really happened on day 1 & 2 there is no excusing what Langill did on day 3.

I've been trying to form an objective opinion on what happened just from what I've read on the internet reports and radio interviews.

Langill's marshals on Day 1 and 2 both say that anything that may have occured were not viewed by either one as unsportsmanlike. If in fact, the events of Day 1 and 2 were not deemed to be unsportsmanlike (by his marshals) I can see where a guy with a temper could 'lose it' over $9500 bucks.

On the other hand, when you hear Duckett talk about what happened, it sounds like Langill just did what he wanted to on that hole and acted like Boyd wasn't on the spot first. I dont agree with that, IF that's true.

Once the initial complaint was filed by Duckett after Day 1, both Day 1 marshals should have been questioned and that's it. Same thing with Day 2. This is exactly what the marshals are there for. The problem I have is that it sounds like all the marshals were questioned but Langill's marshals accounts didnt match Duckett's marshals accounts. How does that happen? They all saw the same thing.

But in the end, unless you saw the events in person from start to finish, everything you hear is pure speculation. And we all know there's 3 sides to every story. His story, the other guy's story and the truth.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that there are three sides to every story. I'd imagine that is correct in almost any circumstance, this being no different. Before I comment, I have to add a disclaimer that, even being on a boat ready to launch when Langhill evidently 'lost it", I never saw it. Obviously, I'm not claiming it didn't happen but, that's another story-

As far as the Marshal's reports are concerned however- I consider it premature to label the Marshal program as 'a failing grade' by what we know about this situation, specifically. And, FBL, do not consider this as a retort against you, I just hit the "quote" button and I think the statement you made that I referenced above is very valid.

Maybe the Day 1 and Day 2 Marshalls did not see anything wrong. Thats OK. Remember that lots of guys have the same, or similar spots, on a lake. Usually, from what the pros I rode with told me, there is enough respect between them that one or another will move on and let the person who 'most had the spot' work it .

Another point is that, one must remember, these pros are working hard, stressed, going 1000 miles an hour, trying to get a check. You spend hours on a boat with them, you get on the same page with them (they tell you their strategy, problem areas, etc). Maybe what they are doing looks OK to you (as a Marshal) based on what the pros describe to you and tell you what has gone on througout practice, other competition days, even other events. Plus you know the rules, and you don't see a rule broken.

Maybe the Marshals really did not see enough ugliness to report anything, and it was the Day 3 stuff that made the situation explode.

I saw Marshals being questioned by BASS staff at the end of Day 2. Was is Langhills? Dunno. Was it Duckett's? Dunno. Not my business.

What did they say? Dunno.

I'm just saying, I think its going down the wrong path to put the Marshals at fault for the actions of a pro who evidently had an issue with what was going on. There are probably very few of us who know exactly what the BASS officials and the Marshals in question discussed.

From what I saw, the Marshals did a great job, and the program is getting great reviews by the BASS officials and the pros.

We should probably all make our decisions based more on fact than speculation......................

We should probably all make our decisions based more on fact than speculation......................

You might want to read my post again, I think you got what I was saying twisted up. I didn't give the marshal program a grade, at least not yet. I haven't made any decisions on what I think because I'm still a bit confused on these so called facts that nobody can seem to find.

I'm not dogging the Marshals at all, I just don't understand how 4 Marshals can have differing accounts of the same happenings. Plus, I find it strange that both Langill's Marshals showed up at the Day 3 launch to back him up and further said they'd back him up if it all went to court. That's pretty strong. Being a marshal is like being a referee at a UFC fight. You are RIGHT THERE!

And from another report, Duckett's story has changed a couple times. Why would his story change at all if it was 100% the truth? It makes you wonder....

From what I saw, the Marshals did a great job, and the program is getting great reviews by the BASS officials and the pros.

Why wouldn't the Marshal program be getting rave reviews from the Pro's? Because they are the one's who wanted it.

And why are the BASS Officials so happy with it? Because they dont have to hear anybody beeotchin' about a co-angler catching too many fish anymore.

If I fished on that level, I would have voted for the Marshal program too, just so we're clear on that.

FBL, let me clarify, I quoted your earlier post because I think you are exactly right- the truth probably lies somewhere between what Duckett says and what Langhill says. We might never know exactly what that truth is.  And on a second point, I think it was another poster who had given failing grades to the Marshal program, not you.

I don't think this is a Marshal issue. If Langhills Marshalls showed up on the dock at the Day 3 launch to 'back him up' (which I'm not sure why they would do, if they'd already been questioned) then clearly the officials had already gotten enough info to satisfy themselves that they were making a legitimate call.

I would bet a dollar that BASS does not want to suspend an angler from an event, much less for the season, due to the fact that people on message boards and the media in general will call into question their decisions and bring negative publicity to the 'cause'.  For them to have taken the actions they did, instead of  DQ'ing him from the event, giving a monetary fine, or whatever, they had to have seen something compelling. Thats all I'm saying.

Hopefully we'll all know at some point!

Peace

We will never really "know" what the truth of the matter is or was. As was said, the truth always lies somewhere in between.

As for the marshals, I think I have an idea as to how their stories can be so different. On each day, they witnessed the same events. But after eight hours on the water, they described the events very differently. Why? Probably because for most of those eight hours, each pro was "selling" his side of the story to his marshal.

So, while they may have seen the same event objectively, by the end of the day all objectivity was gone, and they saw the events as the pros did, one thinking lines were crossed, one believing he did nothing wrong.

And I'm not saying that marshals are weak-minded and able to be easily manipulated, but if you're in Boyd's boat, a Classic champion, and he tells you how things should be, you're likely to see it his way. If you're in Langill's boat, you might see it his way.