Sign in to follow this  
cato

Just started

So I just started fishing some tournaments this month and realized I don't know as much about catching bass as I thought I did! Last night was an eye opener! The first tournament I fished was last Tuesday and bad thunderstorms with lightening ended my run after two hours so I was going to give it a fresh start this week. 4 hr tourney, caught 6 fish but only 2 keepers for about 2 1/2lbs total. needless to say we got our butts kicked!!! It was a great experience though and I look forward to the next one!

Sorry you didn't do too well. You might want to pre fish for the next one and maybe you'll do better. Theres always something new you'll learn when bass fishing ;)

The little 4 hr 'shootouts' probably aren't the best tournaments to start out with. Most guys that fish those have some fish pinpointed, just waiting on them to get there.

It's certainly not impossible but it IS hard to just go out and start looking for fish in a 4 hr tournament and do well against the more experienced guys. 4 hrs goes by like 20 minutes when you're bass fishing....you have to haul @#$ straight to your spots and start putting fish in the boat immediately.

But....as with any tournament, always remember, it only takes 5 good bites.

Good luck.

Well the results of the tournament were posted online and we finished 22nd out of 48 boats. Not too bad I guess for just starting out fishing tournaments. I just need to figure out how to get a few more keepers and I'll be sitting pretty!

Holy ..... 48 boats in a 4 hr? Thats insane.

Yeah I know! I think there is always between 45 and 55 boats in this thing every Tuesday. The tournament runs from 6-10pm.

No really. The No Name Bass Club Thursday evening tournament (5-8) on Sam Rayburn averages 60+ boats and has for the last several years. Our club even purchased a live release tank professionally built for large tournaments just for this series. It is mounted on a tandem trailer and is equipped with aerators, pumps, and glass sides for viewing. I worked a weigh in several weeks ago and we are even equipped with a generator to allow the weigh in to be lighted for nigh time weigh ins. Pretty sharp and they run a great series.

We've got a weekly 4hr here but it's 20-25, maybe 30 boats max.

thats insane. We fish one on the river and its holds around 15 boats. I also know of another at Lake Jordan that holds around 20 but 60 is incredible.

4 hour tournaments are a pretty good starter in my opener. Its not too long to get you frustrated if things go by and you can do better with smaller weights as you must have seen. Tho I do have to say the guys that win it are generally on fish when they get out there and are hard to beat if you haven't already found your own fish.

Keep at it and everything will start to come together.

Mottfia

I fish some weekly all-nighters that may only have 5-10 boats but those are usually just friends throwing $25-50 in a hat. Many tournaments here on the big pond are usually 150-200 boats depending on who is putting it on.

I know this is probably preaching to the choir but the only advice I would offer is to fish often. My pre-tournament strategy for a Thursday tournament would consist of being on the water Monday, Wednesday, Friday, & Saturday for as many hours as possible.

Something else i would like to add. Dont burn yourself out. Fishing is awesome and i would every day if i could, but you try to work, spend time with family, mow, all those other things, and be a tourney angler and somethings gonna start to fall apart. If your the next kvd it wont matter but if your like me and just always gonna be a weekend warrior then just relax and let it come to you. I have a bad tendency to put the cart before the horse.

Our club is small (just 19 members) and only a couple of years old.  The most boats we have had at any one tournament is 5.  We have a good time though.