Sign in to follow this  
cjjurgo

Culling Systems

What is everyone using to help them with culling?

I have used the tags, weighing each fish on a scale and then tagging them, cull bars, and just recently started using Glory bags.

I got the bags after I almost lost a tourny on the Ohio river when I had two fish jump out the well, I got lucky and both stayed in the boat, but it did get me thinking and looking around.

There are several things I like about the bags:

I can open the well and not worry about fish jumping out.

I don't have to grab the fish, makes it quick and easy when you want to get a fish out.

The fish stay calm as can be, no thrashing in the well.

When it is time to cull you just grab 2 bags and hang them on the cull bar. Fish also seem to thrash less during this so it is faster.

Makes cleaning the well afterwards fast, no shad or crawdads floating around or clogging anything up.

So have any of you tried these? I know I thought they were a gimic at first but they seem to work really well, so far. I have had fish up to 5 lbs. in the bags with no problems.

I use the Xtool Pro scale in culling mode with tags ..... I've not seen the Glory Bags ..... where do I get info on them ??

I have had two systems.

I bought the metal stringer types with different colored floats.

Half are solid colors, the other half are half white and half solid color.

First off, you should have an idea as to what would be a kicker on certain lake or just solid keeper.

I use the solid green marker as my money fish, kicker.   One that most likely won't be culled.   Green is for money.   Easy enough.

When I catch a barely legal keeper, which would be a cull, it gets the solid white marker.

Second solid keeper gets the White/green

All solid keepers get solid colors.    Possible culls get white/yellow, white/ red, etc.

I modified my X Tools set.    I have taken the clips off the cull markers and put the metal type stringer clips on them.

The clip on Cull markers will come off most of the time.    Why go to the trouble if they won't stay clipped most of the time.

XTools does the culling for you.   It tells you which fish to release.

Note, if they are that close, I'll take the culling beam and use the metal hooks already attatched to the fish to QUICKLY cull them by the balance beam.      Always found the scale to be correct after two seasons on correct cull.

I use the SmartCull from Ardent, it comes with 6 colored balls with easy to turn dials, one for pounds and the other for ounces.. No more marker boards in my boat..

smartcull.jpg

I agree that the Ardent SmartCull is an awesome addition to my boat.  I use the X-Tools scale, scroll the weight into the ball and culling is simple.

I agree that the Ardent SmartCull is an awesome addition to my boat. I use the X-Tools scale, scroll the weight into the ball and culling is simple.

x2

I've used the bag-em bags, but learned from Bob Lusk at the RoadTrip that the ribbing in them can rub off the slimecoat.  So I'm going to get ribless bags now.  

The glory bags don't hold water, and look very abrasive - much, much more than the small ribs in the bag-em bags.  And you're supposed to keep your bass in them all day? Compared to the smooth livewell sides, I can't say I'm impressed.

As for culling systems, I was using the Berkley system, but I don't like how the clips keep the bass' mouth open.  I also noticed the colored ropes get caught in teeth and spines, often tangling several bass together.  Not good.  So I've gone back to my old fashioned clips with the colored styrofoam bobbers. I like the scale, however.

Never heard of bags rubbing slime coats.    And I would have never suspected that.

Very good info and something new to consider when buying weighin bags.        

On a side note, most trails issue their own and insist on using theirs.  You can use yours if you put theirs inside of yours.

The reason its become manadorty on alot of our trails is:    by issuing bags after check in, they can limit the amount of guys standing at the tanks waiting to be weighed.

Keeps the lines shorter, just trying to ensure fish are stressed as little as possible.

The glory bag is made of a rubber mesh so it doesn't rub anything off of the fish. I have looked at the other bags and they aren't even close.