Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Clipper catches a 7 1/2 pounder at Varner!!!!!

I went fishing Tuesday with Clipper and his son at Lake Varner. Went to some prespawn spots and Clipper got a hybrid on a jerkbait and I got a small bass on a jerkbait. Not really what we were looking for. I guessed the fish had moved up so we went looking for spawners. We caught some decent fish on beds between three and four pounds each. Still not what we were looking for. We found a spawning area with some more males up on beds where I know exactly where the big females stage at before getting on beds. So, I suggested we back out deeper in the staging area before fishing for the spawners. A few casts later Clipper hooks into the fish in the photo and since you see the photo you know he caught it. :) Got it on a splitshot rig with a trickworm on eight pound line. Slower day than what I expected with clouds and some wind most of the day but the quality of the fish wasn't bad.    

post-3431-130162984239_thumb.jpg

Clipper is my Farther-in-Law and yep I am proud. Great fish David.

Thats a good'un!  

My son Tyson always outfishes me, so it was particularly gratifying to catch this big female. She put up quite a fight on 8lb line and a not so heavy spinning outfit. He still caught more fish than I did, but I got the big one. He converted my 14' fishing boat to an electric boat tonight and is headed back to Varner in the morning to redeem himself. Randall, if he is on your spots tell him to go find his own fish :).

We had a great day with Randall. He is a great fisherman and guide, and I was amazed at how well he knew the lake. I mean the whole lake, not just the shoreline. I realized I didn't know the water I usually fish that well so I have some work to do. Who knows, I might take what Randall taught me Tuesday and catch a real largemouth on Lake (Spotted Bass) Allatoona. Thanks, Randall for a great day of fishing.

We had a great day with Randall. He is a great fisherman and guide, and I was amazed at how well he knew the lake. I mean the whole lake, not just the shoreline.  

That is what makes a day with Randall so enjoyable.  You'll catch fish, but you'll also learn a great deal.

Wonderful BASS Clipper!!!  Way to land her on that tackle!

I'm fishing with Randall at Varner next Tuesday.

Fingers crossed! 8-)

Dan

Great fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful BASS Clipper!!! Way to land her on that tackle!

I'm fishing with Randall at Varner next Tuesday.

Fingers crossed! 8-)

Dan

Don't waste time using the baits and techniques you usually fish.  Listen to what he tells you and then do it and keep on doing it.  He knows the lake and the fish.  You should be hitting them at a real good time.  

Have fun, and make sure your line is good.  There are some nice 8-) fish in that lake.

Clipper is my Farther-in-Law and yep I am proud. Great fish David.

We will not hold it against him  ::)

Nice bass   ;)