Sign in to follow this  
BassinAssassin171

In the Zone and Right Back out

I remember reading a post about fishing instinct a while back (sorry I don't remember who posted it), and I have recently had several experiences to confirm the idea in my mind.

Have you ever:

-Gotten on the water, excited to be out there, but find you just can't get into a fishing mindset, throwing off your techniques and pattern-finding?

-had a bad experience prior to an outing that clouded your mind and didn't allow you to think about fishing?

-Were simply just out of whack and felt out of place on the water, zoning out after every cast?

I notice these patterns in my own fishing when I am extremely unsuccessful and haven't found a surefire solution to them, but am working on it and would love suggestions from any others who experience such bad days on the water.

Hudson you are worthless pss pss lol i would say go to your neighborhood pond dont go with anyone else focus on fishing as hard as you can catch 50 fish to build your confidance back up and then go ride shadowfax

i think is is a very good issue to bring up and discuss trey.  for whatever it may be worth, here's my $.02.  i think a serious mistake many bassers make is developing what i call an "emotional attachment" to a particular bait, spot, time, pattern or technique.  we go out one day and just absolutely slay fish.  of course it's human nature to want to go out the next time and try to duplicate what we did given our success.  so we do just that.  then we leave the lake scratching your head.  our "magic bait" isn't so magic anymore.  our "can't miss" pattern suddenly misses big time.  our "honey hole" suddenly becomes dead water.  the highest of fishing highs has suddenly become the lowest of lows.  we find ourselves "out of the zone" and just going through the motions, doing all the negative things you described above.  before it seemed like we couldn't do anything wrong and now it seems like we can't do anything right.  what has happened?  more than likely we might have developed an emotional attachment that has come back to bite us big time.  the fish have changed but we have not.  

suppose we took the time to plot our fishing success on a straight line graph (with a straight horizontal line representing whatever we consider an "average" fishing day for us).  peaks would represent  great  periods and valleys would represent bad periods in our fishing.

i think that we might be shocked at what we'd find over time.  i think we might see that on several occasions a high peak is followed almost immediately by a low valley.  i think this could be because we tried to keep on doing what we did a the height of our success and it failed when the fish changed and we didn't.  how long we stay in the valley  is determined by how quickly we figure out and adjust to whatever changes the fish have made.

this happens to all of us trey.  don't be discouraged.  sometimes the highs just make the lows seem worse.  but the good news is the lows make the highs that much sweeter.  just make sure you bring an open mind to the lake and you'll be whackin' em again before you know it.

success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success.  but you also gotta know when you are beating a dead horse and make some changes.  hope this helps ya buddy. :)    

i agree what u mean by an emotional attachment i want to use the same bait i did well with next time and not change from it or change spots its tough to tell ur mind to move on to the next idea  :-/

Great post hawg caller!

I have a little different attitude than a lot of guys, but probably similar to hawg caller. I fish exclusively for big bass. Well...maybe not what Kalifornia guys consider big! Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that I expect to only catch a few fish and it doesn't bother me when I don't! I pay my dues and hang a goodun' every now and then. For me, that's what it's all about.

8-)