Sign in to follow this  
Olebiker

Tournament partner from hell

I signed up as a non-boater for our club tournament and drew a guy who is not very popular within the club.  I now know why.

He called me a couple of days before the tournament and asked that I pick him up and, "oh by the way, I don't have a vehicle to pull my boat so we will need to use your truck."  OK, I knew he was kinda down on his luck, so I cut him some slack.

He then informed me that his G3 boat had a couple of holes in the hull and that the automatic bilge pump would come on from time to time.  From time to time meant every five minutes or so.  It didn't pump out the side either.  It shot a fountain up in the air off the port side of the transom.  I had to remember not to stand there to pee off the back of the boat.

I will give him credit that, when he started catching fish on a Chug Bug, he gave me one to use.  It would have been nice to be able to cast to where the fish were, but he was not very generous with  boat positioning.  I did catch a keeper on a shakey head with a Trick Worm in the area where he had just thrown the Chug Bug.

We then left to fish docks the rest of the day since that is about all he does.  He kept getting strikes and missing fish.  (I am convinced that he was not not getting bass bites, but bluegills.)  Every time he would miss one he would have a tantrum and scream obscenities at the top of his lungs.  I pointed out to him that we were within about fifty yards of people's homes and that he needed to behave.  It didn't do much good.  He continued with his tantrums all day long.

He kept positioning the boat where I could not get a cast into the good areas under the docks or in the boat slips so I just started fishing wherever I could get a cast in.  I ended up with five bass and he never caught a fish from the docks.

At one point, after missing a fish, he said, "You get up here on the trolling motor.  I'm not fishing any more.  I'm tired of this ****."  He sat down in the driver's seat and sulked.  I promptly caught a fish on the first cast.  He jumped back up and started fishing again.

At least I won't have to fish with him again until next year at the earliest.

Olebiker, too bad about your day but I can't help but laugh.  Not at you, but at him.  Sounds like he has some growing up to do.  If he could take a page out of your book, maybe he would understand and learn.  I would guess though that he is the type of guy to have an excuse for just about everything. Better luck next time.

I was pretty determined to not let him mess up my day.  I tried to keep a positive attitude all day.  

Nice to hear you got 5 bass but bad to hear of what a bad partner you had.

Maybe some of the more senior members in the club should talk to him about his attitude.  I mean, if the guy is ruining other members outings, then why even have him in the club?  Maybe the guy doesn't know how he is being perceived?  

Next time you get back seated, walk up to the front of the boat and start casting with him.  That's what I do.

I had a similar experience.

My tournament career lasted

exactly a day and a half.

>:(

Next time you get back seated, walk up to the front of the boat and start casting with him. That's what I do.

X2. Usually if you get a cool partner they'll make the offer if you're flipping or sight fishing or something like that.

This is a D**N shame you guys! I will go out of my way to make my partners outing as enjoyable as my own! I would definitely speak to someone about NEVER fishing with that guy again!!!!!!  >:(

Sounds like the guy has some mental problems.

I don't supposed he is married?

Funny story that all of us who tournament fish can relate to.

Thanks for sharing.  ;D

You a better man than I. Glad you kicked his arse and did not let it ruin your day. If you had taken the time to move the boat out away from everything, shut everything off, and filled the front deck with uppercuts you would not have to worry about sharing the boat with this idiot ever again.

I commend you for your patience.

Congratulations and best of luck.

Jack

Sounds like the guy has some mental problems.

I don't supposed he is married?

Yeah, he's married.  At one point during the day he told me that he thought most of the guys in the club fished to get away from their wives.

. If you had taken the time to move the boat out away from everything, shut everything off, and filled the front deck with uppercuts...

Jack[/quote

Now that's funny, I dont care who you are! ;D