Sign in to follow this  
BrianinMD

Have you ever seen this...?

Was out today fishing for smallies in the Potomac, recently we have received a good deal of rain so the water was up and cloudy. I started seeing some baitfish being chased around and some good size fish hitting at them in shallow water so I was set for some good action.

I ended up catching two, but the odd part to me was they were catfish, not bass. I have never seen catfish activity chasing baitfish.

I don't have pics so some won't believe me but the two I did get were 25in and 18in. Both on a 3/8oz black/chart. spinnerbait. Lost a third and had some hits and misses. Was fun just odd......

I've actually seen bullheads do it, hunting spawning shad on the surface under lights at night. They cruised the surface feeling ahead of them. They must be quick when the time is right!

I experienced this last week. I pulled in three nice catties (two of which were over 24") on live active shiners.

Catfish are predators they dont just eat whatevers dead on the ground. Catfish feed on lots of the same things as bass. I caught a 10lb channel in a pond with a big soft plastic bait a few days ago and it was so mutch fun lol.

i got an 8.5lb blue cat on a pop'r 2 years ago.  that was the hardest fighting fish i've ever caught, fought it for nearly 20 min, lol.

granted, its not a fresh water cat,

but my buddy caught a 9-10lb ''sail-cat" (saltwater catfish) about 5 days ago on a top water mir-o-lure while fishing for trout and red...

quite the surprise!