Sign in to follow this  
coldsteel

Burning the Bait...in Winter?

Hey guys,

Is burning the bait in winter a good idea?  Now I know what you are going to say...but before you say it read.  

My Dad was a kid and he liked to fish farm ponds.  He was fishing a pond in january with a bayou boogie, and not getting much action.  The told me that he reeled fast to pull it over a brus pile and [glb]WHAM[/glb]...caught a bass.  He then cast out and burned the bait [glb]WHAM[/glb]! Another hit.  He then proceeded to get his friends and catch about 70 bass... ;D

Could it be possible that all the misconception about slowy working the bait in winter is wrong?  And that no one tries to go against this theory since it is so strongly encouraged?  I know a bass' metabolism slows down in winter...but could this theory of working the bait slow be wrong?

[glb][move]Thanks...tight lines coldsteel[/move][/glb]

I think theres always a chance any THEORY could be wrong. I personally have had no sucess with burning a bait in less than 60 deg. water. I will try it again soon though because we havent been catching anything the last couple times out---LOL

I rarely (read never) throw a spinnerbait just because everyone else does. But last weekend (2/20) I wanted to practice with one of my fast retrieve baitcasters, so I took it out to one of my ponds and really burned a blade. To my surprise...it worked! I didn't catch any big fish but I caught eight in a couple of hours. It was great fun on a Sunday afternoon. I bet it works for you, too.

A pond is diff then a lake im pretty sure that has alot to do with it, it takes no time for a pond to warm up but a lake takes a little longer.

When facing cold water you can do two things........retrieve at arthritic snail pace trying to get a bite or...........as crazy as it may sound, smoke the water !, but don 't go smoking the water at 6 in the morning, smoke it at mid day when the water in the shallows has warmed enough to generate baitfish activity, don 't smoke the water in the middle of the lake, there 's nobody there but look for those areas that keep and trap heat like rocky bluffs, most lakes here have the dam covered with huge rocks ( anywhere from a foot to the size of a small car ) and during the time when the water cools down they are prime spots because those rocks trap heat and the water around them is several degrees warmer than the rest of the lake.

A bass is a predator! So theres always a chance to catch a bass fishing your lures fast.Its a reaction strike sometimes a bass reacts before he thinks even if hes not hungry.Its their nature.

Yeah it has worked for me I have burned a rattletrap, crankbait, spinnerbait and had caught fish. I also have worked other lures at normal speeds in winter and caught fish too like a soft jerkbait, spook, and a buzzbait

Think about it, that bass is in shallow water near bottom and hasn't been eating much. He sees a spinnerbait go over his head, how many chances at a meal that big does he get during the day? So he takes the opportunity and smacks your bait. I bet if he short struck and you threw it back at him, he wouldn't be interested.

Like Raul said temp is the key.

Any time the water temp increases by a couple of degrees the bass metabolism speeds up and the get more aggressive.A warming rain, or creek,spring with warmer than surrounding water can be a time when you might find you cant crank the bait to fast.In a small pond a warming rain might warm the hold body of water very fast.

Last year around the first of Feb i had my best day ever.Fishing the month of a spring after a heavy rain.The water there always holds slightly more aggressive fish due to it being warmer than the surrounding water.But the heavier water flow that day reached farther out than normal and drew in more than the normal amount of fish.And a feeding frenzy soon followed.They where packed so tight into the little creek channel that id bump the crank bait into two to three fish on ever cast.Often getting an actual strike on almost every cast.Do to the murky water a lot of them came up sort.Slowing the bait down helped them stop hitting short.As did using a suspending Rough.But also cut down on the percentages of the fish that where hitting.Finally figured out a burning retrieve with a very quick stop and go would let them catch it.Some sharper hooks would have also helped.Caught about 30 to 40 fish in less than three hrs.Missed many more!Would have caught many more had the air temp been higher.It had droped over night after the rain the day before.My arms where so sore from setting the hook that day, i could hardly raise them over my head for two days.But it was worth every second of it.

It didn't help my hook up percentages that i had only brought my worming rod with me that day.Cause i suspecting to be using soft plastics. ::) I was bank fishing and tried to pack light.

The majority of them ranged from 2# to 4#lbs. Missed one right at the bank that would have been my largest fish.  :'( Have wondered since then how many larger fish had moved into there but hadn't warmed up enough to feel like running down the bait.Had i switched up to a slower bait i might have really had some nice ones.But its sure hard to think and change up when your already catching nice ones. ;D

While the conditions never favored that pattern again this winter, i have still done fairly well there fishing much faster than anywhere else. ;D

reaction fishing hmm. tryed that and it didnt work. Some how i thre my spinnedbait 2 ft away from the bass. It didnt scare him, i started retreiving and either my line or my spinnerbait nudged him and he took off. Where is the reaction bite there? ???

Yesterday morning, 2/27, I got out to another small pond. I was too wet and too cold to fish so I tied up a chartruse spinnerbait, big gold willow leaf on top and a small silver Colorado blade beneath it and took nothing else. Landed twelve small largemouth (2-3 lbs) and lost two in an hour and a half. No special technique, tossed it out and burned it back (Shimano Calais, 6.2:1).

Stickling it could be that you spooked the fish and the reaction you got was that it took off. Trust me it works. Maybe not all the time every time but more times then you might think. Try some off colored water.