Sign in to follow this  
bassman22

fishing Rainy Days

Hello,

It just got done raining here for 3 days the river is up.

I was wonder would it be good to fish when the river is up? (Any Info On this would be great)

And if so where should I look for bass when the rivers up? (Any Info On this would be great)

And what kind of lures to use when the rivers up?

(Any Info On this would be great)

Any help would be thank full thanks...................

If the water is warm enough, usually rising water gets the fish to go shallower--new cover and new forage.  Find'em with a spinnerbait and flip all that new cover.

All right, you know I mostly fish the Tennessee River, so here's my take:

If it's muddy stay home. Sorry man, I apparantly don't know how to catch fish in muddy water. I've tried, it doesn't work for me.

If it's just high, I have lots of experience there. Now I saw the post recommending you fish closer to the bank because the fish are up there feeding. Well, that's never been my experience. I fish deeper, 5-15 feet out from where the river bank usually is. Yep, out in the middle! I find smallmouth relating to the same structure in high water as they were in the normal, stable water. I don't fish for largemouth on the river, maybe they are shallow, I don't know.

Baits/ lures? What ever you have had success with. I don't think high water effects lure selection, but then, I fish live shinners on the river for smallmouth, so what do I know?  

If the water is muddy,you'll need to fish a bait that's a real bright color or that is really loud (or both).Muddy and cold water is not a good thing.Living in the deep South,I rarely experience both of these conditions at once,but I bet our Northern bassin' brothers could educate you on that.

Hello,

It just got done raining here for 3 days the river is up.

I was wonder would it be good to fish when the river is up? (Any Info On this would be great)

And if so where should I look for bass when the rivers up? (Any Info On this would be great)

And what kind of lures to use when the rivers up?

(Any Info On this would be great)

Any help would be thank full thanks...................

Of course.

Flooded bank.

Topwater lures like buzzbait, frogs, floatin worm, & such will do the justice.

Well, I'm from the north but I can't say I have a lot of experience fishing rivers.  I practically live on the natural lakes in Minnesota and some of the resorviors.  My experience with high water (and this may or may not help with river fishing at all but I thought I would try and be of some help) is that if the water is stained or muddy and the water is real warm ( surface at upper 70s and up) I'm going to fish a little deeper (7-15 ft) and you have to put your lure right in the structure.  Fish are probably up in the warm shallow water too but I have never had as much luck getting them to bite or with size.  

If the water is clear and warm I'll have better luck deeper still but I don't have to be so picky about getting right into the cover and boat control becomes a little less of a factor.  Now if the water is in the 60 - mid 70s range I'll go shallow and hit  alot of the new structure that is now underwater.  

when the water is up and the temp is below the mid 50s then its anybody's ballgame.  Some lakes I can figure the fish out but most times I'll never see a hit.  Some people I fish with don't agree with all these ideas but I have found that it works for me a majority of times.  They are more comfortable fishing other areas in these conditions and I have seen them be productive at times.  Don't know if this will help at all but hopefully some good will come from it.  Go get em.