Sign in to follow this  
stiatska

Gut Hook

Hi my name is Joe and I am new to this forum . I fish a local , private 7 acre farm pond that is loaded , I've caught over 30 bass there this week , mostly in the 2 pound range with a few closer to 5 or 6 pounds (and a couple that were smaller than the bait) . Anyway , the bass in this pond love plastic crawdads and flukes . the problem is they tend to love 'em a bit too much , they swallow them right down and I get a gut hook . If I try to set the hook right away I usually take it from there mouths but any delay , even slight , results in the gut hook . When I get a gut hook I usually give a brief effort to removal but most of the time I end up cutting as much of the hook out as possible and hope that it rusts and rejects out of the fish ...I'd like to catch the fish again in a few years . My question is if anyone has suggestions on how to avoid gut hooking and what you do when you do get a gut hook ?  ??? ???

It takes practice, joe. I gut-hooked the most beautiful fish I have seen this year so far the other day. I was so mad at myself that I went inside.  I wasn't paying very good attention to my line.  Sounds like you already know this, but, WATCH THAT LINE! The second it moves, set the hook.  99% of the time the big mouthed fish like you're catching can get the whole bait in their mouth on the first inhale. their next step, if they like it, is to swallow. So , as soon as that line  twitches, or starts to swim away, set it.

Welcome to BassResource.com

Randy

Guest hydrillagorilla

I saw a fantastic article on this forum about gut hooks.  I will look for it and post here if I find it.  

There was another post here a few days/weeks ago that addressed the problem of gut hooking.  It was a technique to remover the deep hook with little or no damage to the fish.  I would post the link but I am a little busy at work and don't have the time to do a search, sorry. :(

You might try using a larger hook.  If you are using a 1/0 or 2/0 for instance, try using a 3/0 or 4/0.  Also, gut hooking just happens and there is really no way to prevent it.  Last year, I caught one of the biggest fish of my life when he hit my LF Ring Fry as soon as it hit the water, but he was gut hooked and bleeding like crazy while I was trying to get a picture if him.  Leaving the hook in is 10 times better than trying to get it out in these cases.  Carrying wire cutters and cutting the hook is a good practice.

Good Info Bandit. . . i've had fish die because of this and it cost me in the end. . . hopefully it'll never happen again now!!! Thanx

Yes that was me that posted that link above and it WORKS!!!!!  T

This isn't a solution, since the best was already posted, but I've heard mixed opinions. Do they really live if you cut out the hook and it eventually rusts and leaves the fish? Or are they stuck with a hook in their throat until death? Sorry for drifting off topic.

I tried that technique from In-Fisherman this weekend and it really does work ;).  It took me a while to perform the process and the fish was out of the water for quite a while, but I was surprised at how easy the hook came out once I got it done.  The fish swam off, but then came back up to the top and laid there on his side, I was afraid he was dying, but after several minutes he took off again ;D.  I am now a believer in this technique and feel that it is better than cutting the line or the hook.

I have found that the metod described works, but certainly not all the time.  I got a pair of diagonal cutters from snap-on tools, long shaft like needle nose pliars that work great to cut the hook.  You can cut off 75% of the hook which is better than leaving the entire hook in the fish.

I used the method referenced above several times this morning.  I was fishing in the wind and having trouble with strike detection.  Anyway, it worked great!  I am a true believer!

I got some angled pliers from Harbor Freight for like 6 bucks. I got to try them out the other day when a largemouth swallowed the hook and I must say I never got a hook out so fast. I just ran the pliers up through the gills and turned it upside down so I was on the hook, wiggled it for a second then slighty twisted it and it came right out. I'd probably say hands down its the best fishing investment.