Sign in to follow this  
piranha

Fishing in the rain...use same approach?

I will be fishing in the rain tonight in a 4-hour club tournament. It runs from 5 - 9 PM. I had planned to start out using senkos and then transitioning to a black buzzbait and white zara spook. Since it is raining and the clouds are very low, is this still a good approach or should I try something else? Does the rain throw off a bass's ability to sense the topwaters?

Thanks.

I would fish just like you have planned to fish. I fish in the rain often and don't think adjustments are required. If anything, you have more choices since rain usually creates lowlight conditions.

Be careful, if it's rain there's no problem, but if it's associated with lightning...Get off the lake!

Like RW said, but don't wait for the lightening.  If your rods start vibrating throw them down and hide in the rod locker 'til it's safe to come out :D

Thanks guys. No lightening, thank goodness. Finished 4th out of 14 in my second tournament. Used just what I said and caught - 2 on senko, 1 on buzzbait and 1 on spook. One more fish might have put me in the money (top two places). My goal was top five so I was happy overall.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. Before finding this forum, I wouldn't have had any idea what to throw.

Rick

Sorry i'm a little late here but in the rain i have noticed that inline spinners can really catch bass I mean load the boat when their on.  My favorites are Mepps #3 but the new Joes Flies in the super striker 1/4oz bass series in the firetiger apache color in the overcast low light condition is an excellent color.  I have wornout may of these new lures so far too.  While one bait may catch a few bass picking the right bait for the right conditions will load the boat.   There's a certain time during the rain they just go nuts after inline spinners.

BigBill

Hey Shadmaster

If there is a boat with a rod locker big rnough for me to get into, the boat will have a name...ie "The Queen Mary" LOL

CPR ;D