Sign in to follow this  
piranha

Inter-Day Bass Movements - Where do they go?

The general concensus on here is to fish top to bottom when starting early in the morning. My question is whether bass have a general movement pattern each day. I would imagine they stay in a general location of the lake, but within that area, is there a general pattern that they follow? I am specifically asking about summer patterns. We can move on to other seasons next if there is in fact a difference.

For example - Bass start deep and move shallow during peak sun then move back deep later in the day. (Just an example...I don't think it is true.)

Are there any basic guidelines?

Thanks.

I think the bigger bass suspend in deeper water, on or near structure. I think on some lakes the bass will bury themselves in cover, lilly pads and heavy vegetation. I'm not convinced that they follow schools of bait or even seach for food, but rather, position themselves in ambush where baitfish may occasionally come by.

Although I have caught all of my biggest bass in the middle of the day, I don't think they were actively feeding, I think the strike is opportunistic. Inactive bass usually will not chase a bait, but if you can put it in their face, instinct takes over and they have to strike.

I agree with RW I've been catching bass in 2 to 4 ft of water all summer long, buried in vegetation though it seems that I can catch them on the outer edge early in the day then as the day progresses they seem to bury deeper into the grass and into the thicker parts of the vegetation.  

Yeah, me too. For bass the best times I've had were at night or a little before sun down. During the day I can't seem to catch a bass :S

The bass I've been catching during the day have all been with 20 yards of shore along the weedline.  I've been fishing late afternoon and early evening.  Spinnerbaits just under the surface in the shallow water have been the ticket in my local pond.  Of course, why mess with this summer heat when night fishing is where it's all at.  Black spinnerbaits and topwater baits are all you need when it's dark out.   FYI:  use a Zara Spook and the fish will come to you!

What is happening in the lake ?

Lots of things happen throughout the lake during the day, if it 's sunny algae blooms happen, if its 'sunny/ algae blooms are happening/ and there 's a little bit of wind the algae bloom is going to be drifted towards the shore in the direction where the wind is blowing, baitfish will follow the wind because they know that there will be a greater concentration of food on that side, where baitfish congregate bass will congregate. Fish on the side where the wind is blowing to.

It 's sunny but there 's no wind, well the algae bloom will continue but since there 's no wind baitfish have to move up and down the lake to make their daily meal, there 's no point for bass to chase the baitfish, they just wait hidden in the shade for a scool of dumb baitfish to pass by. Fish from the bright side into the shady side of objects.

How's the insect activity ?

If you pay attention to the events that are taking place in the lake during the day you will find the fish, listen to what the lake is telling you.  

Perhaps the best answer to this question I have ever read is in a book called Advanced Bass Fishing by John Weiss. It is the best book for learning how to locate fish. I have used what I learned from it in the three tournaments I have fished this month and finished 5th, 2nd, and just this Wednesday I finish 3rd. Only 5 boats weighed fish out of 20 boats. I beat two FLW pros and two Everstart pros. The book just brings everything together. But let me warn you. It is not for the begining angler. You can find the book used on Amazon.com for just a few bucks. It is a little old but the first 250+ pages are more than worth the cash.

Oh yea I fogot the best thing about beating these guys was I fished out of my 14ft Jon boat w/ 8hp. I never even cranked her up. Just dropped the trolling motor and started looking.

What is happening in the lake ?

Lots of things happen throughout the lake during the day, if it 's sunny algae blooms happen, if its 'sunny/ algae blooms are happening/ and there 's a little bit of wind the algae bloom is going to be drifted towards the shore in the direction where the wind is blowing, baitfish will follow the wind because they know that there will be a greater concentration of food on that side, where baitfish congregate bass will congregate. Fish on the side where the wind is blowing to.

I fish from shore so when the conditions are windy,sunny,algae blooms I should go to that part of the lake that the water/wind is moving towards?

sorry for the stupid question I just want to become a better bass fisherman

I went out with a friend yesterday in hopes of catching a few crappie for the freezer.  The area we were in is formed by a cove filled with old timber with an island at the end of a point that is close to a chanel that runs along in front of it that drops from about 16' to 25'.  We stayed in the area until lunch and worked and covered it well.  Not much luck with crappie; however there was alot of fish activeity on the top hitting shad up until we left.  Alot of these looked like they were largemouth bass some were probably hybrids.  I was back seat and not used to adjusting or reading his electronics, but I needed a break, so I got messing with them and it looked like there were small schools of shad moveing around in the area and also fish suspended at 2 seperate levels in deeper water and occassionally they were surfacing to feed much like has been suggested.  We did not get any to bite, but only tried briefly before leaveing.  

Exactly Paully.