Sign in to follow this  
papadew

night fishing in stained/muddy water

Fishing last nite was tougher than usual. Then I noticed the water on Lake James' Catawba side was heavily stained.  Debris field meant idling around.  My Q is - what baits would work under these conditions with 84 degree water temp?  Cranks/rattletraps didn't produce a strike. 6 fish came off worms in brush.  Any suggestions> Papa

Whassup Papadew ! enjoying your Scorpion ? ;). Ok here 's my take, cranks didn 't work, worms did in brush, that means that being the water murky fish will be holding in cover, add that to warm water and fish are not in the mood to chase your offerings except for slow moving baits, in my bag of dirty & nasty tricks and bad luck ( for them ) charms to make them basses to bite I use rattling jigs in black, black&green, black&red ( for some particular reason they don 't hit black&blue baits ??? down here ) with a frog plastic trailer in black, green shad or red shad, frog trailers have C shaped legs creating lotz of vibration when you work your jig plus the clacking sound of the rattle will bring their attention; also I tie 4-6 inch worms with C shape tail in black, red or purple with metal flake T rigged with a 1/2 oz pegged sinker; also another bait that woik fer me is a black or black & red spinnerbait with a big as a hub cap single cupped colorado blade retrieving it at steady slow pace trough the brush, topwaters in the case you are describing ( murky water ) are limited to a black jitterbug with a "doctored" lip retrieved at slow pace above the submerged brush, just enough to make it gurgle.

The reason why I don 't recommend poppers, buzzbaits, walk the dog or prop baits in murky water even if it 's full moon is because buzzbaits are not like spinnerbaits, in order to keep them in the surface you have to reel them faster than spinnerbaits and the fact that they didn 't hit cranks tells you that they are not in the mood to chase; poppers, porp baits and walk the dog baits don 't work well because fish can 't see them if the water is murky.

Thanks for input. I guess I'm getting burned out & lazy anymore. I just try a coupla baits and if no takers, I give up and leave.  They bite for about an hour and quit.  Fish 2 hrs w/o bite, but don't really try any other baits usually.  Dead Sea fishing is getting borrrriiiiinnnngggg!  I'd like to fish on some of Bill Dance's pits fer a change!  Cast, set the hook, & crank 'em in.  Yep, lazy me.  I promise tonite to get it on and throw my blk s/b's, but the jig bite has been non-existent this summer for most I've talked to.  The Frog trailer intrigues me though, think I will try that. Haven't thrown a Sickle tail type worm in ages...but will. The jitterbug will definitely be tied on.  You're right Raul, they WON'T chase anything. BTW, the Scorpion is worth the $$$, BUT, since I went back to using 1/4 oz bullet sinkers, the backlashing on the CU100's has been eliminated.  I was throwing baits too lite for the rod/line combo evidently.  Will post results later...Papa

I get like that often.  so I'll grab another rod and just cast the impatience out of me with a crankbait or spinnerbait, or somethin.  btw, that x-rap is pretty underwater!  

Yea, threw it Sat nite also....no takers.  Stormy afternoon/nitetime and showers have kept me off the water.  Too foggy to get there this AM.  Mama Nature is a ******, huh?  Papa

lol, nah, shes just the way she is supposed to be.  amazing how she balances herself out at times.

tomorrow I'm goin fish with a buddy, all the rain we're gettin, and tomorrow as well... should be interesting.  but we're lookin for a lunker or two.  or three.  one will do fine though.  great spot, great structure.  donno what kind of cover it has, but wonderful structure.  so we'll see what it produces.  even if its rainin.   ;D

Why are you not carolina riggin? All of my fish lately have came from a carolina rig.I have been carolina riggin a finesse tube or finesse worm and both have been producing although sunday night I missed a fish on a 10 in. power worm. I didnt give her time to eat that killer worm ;D before setting the hook. The fish are not chasing much right now so in my opinion cranks,rattletraps,spinnerbaits and jerkbaits are not an option. A buzzbait in the rocks, maybe ;)

Buzzbaits @ dusk didn't get a strike.  As for the C-rig, wellllll, let's just say that regardless of the name and that i'm fishing in Lake James, NC....the "Carolina" rig, for me, does not produce. I throw it for an hour or two on deep points where I mark fish and know they're there, and ZIPPO, NADA. I can't remember EVER catching a C-rig fish on this lake and danged few anywhere else for that matter.  By the book, tricks, tips, etc, and ZERO.  Sniff-Sniff. Guess I've just lost the drive/focus/intelligence or whatever the hell it takes.  Others do well deep on it, however, hence my deeeep depression.  Tight lines, Papa