Sign in to follow this  
CallMeTheSeeker

removing treble hooks quickly

just wondered if you guys had any tips on removing treble hooks more quickly from fish.  They seem to take me alot longer to get out then single hooks....more points, makes sense.  Being the concerned fisherman that i am, i just thought you guys might have some tips to help me get the fish back in the water more quickly.

thanks

-Seeker

One word of advice regarding treble hooks...

When landing a fish be careful if you hold onto the rod and let it load up with tension when trying to lip the fish.   If that fish shakes the hooks somehow, those hooks will be stuck in your hand before you know it.

hehe yea..i'v caught a hook or two in the hand...and i do carry needlenose :)    tho i try not to horse the hooks too hard with the needlenose  for fear of injuring the fish.  if it's hooked in the mouth does that need to be a concern?

-Seeker

Get a firm thumb-grip in the mouth of the fish. Using needlenose pliers, remove one barb at a time. Forget about the rest of the hooks, concentrate on one barb at a time. You should be able to remove the gnarliest mess in less than a minute. The fish will be fine.

I never fish without pliers, clippers, a knife and a small towel. Standard equipment no matter where you fish or how you fish.

Apply pressure away from the barb of the hook, or toward the back of the treble, then remove the hook with a twist of the wrist. I've seen a bunch of good anglers who didn't understand this simple logic. Do one point at a time.  Occasionally what looks like an impossible task of removal happens because the fish has twisted and rehooked itself. Be just a little patient when performing surgery.

The fastest and safest way, for the fish at least, is just to cut the hook if it's buried to deep or taking to long to get out. You can replace trebles, not fish though. Heavy duty hook cutters can be found at any sporting good store usually.